Ruger Forum banner

Converting Single Six to Bisley grips

25K views 73 replies 17 participants last post by  johnfland 
#1 ·
As I've posted elsewhere tonight, I got back my .357mag and .44mag stainless steel Blackhawks today from John Gallagher, a "neighbor" (within 60 miles or so) of my brother in Alabama. I hand-delivered the guns and the parts (was visiting from California in August), and he converted both guns to Bisley. I've very pleased with the workmanship and outcome -- they are as good as or better than my Ruger factory stainless steel .45LC Bisley Blackhawk in fit and finish. He also set the timing and removed any creep. Highly recommended. Pictures to follow.

I'm now interested in converting my Stainless Steel Single Six to Bisley grips. I've collected the following parts (2nd number is Midway's, except for one Brownell):

• Ruger KBR00301 699239 Ruger Grip Frame Bisley Vaquero Stainless Steel
  • Ruger KBR01801 112865 Ruger Grip Frame Screw Back Hex Head Bisley Vaquero Stainless Steel (have two per set) [Brownells]
  • Ruger KBR04001B 797832 Ruger Hammer Assembly Bisley Vaquero Stainless Steel
  • Ruger KBR03901 393315 Ruger Trigger Bisley Vaquero Stainless Steel
  • Ruger KXR03401 795467 Ruger Trigger Pivot Pin Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Vaquero, Bisley Vaquero, Single 6 Stainless Steel
  • Ruger KXR01400 844646 Ruger Grip Dowel Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Bisley, Vaquero, Bisley Vaquero, Single 6, Single Six Bisley
  • Ruger KXR06300 898800 Ruger Trigger Spring Retaining Pin Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Bisley, Vaquero, Bisley Vaquero, Single 6, Single 6 Bisley

Further research suggests that the Bisley hammer assembly needed for a Single Six is a different part number - maybe BR04000B? And maybe no stainless version??

Can anyone confirm the part number I'd need for a stainless Bisley hammer assembly for a Single Six? And does anyone know if Ruger still carries that part (obviously, I can call once I know the part number, just asking the experts here for a quick response!).

TIA,

John Land

See less See more
#3 ·
johnfland, Ruger's Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, and Vaquero all share the same sized hammer. The Single-Six frame is considerably smaller so the hammers for this frame are also smaller. Back in the late 1980's, Ruger did make a run of Bisley Single-Sixes but they were blued... not stainless and are very scarce. You may end up with a conventional Single-Six hammer. No problem ... mechanically, they will work just fine in a Bisley grip frame, however there will a noticeable void behind the hammer.

#7 · (Edited)
johnfland, Unless you find a beater Bisley Single-Six, it is worth a lot more with the Bisley hammer than a clone would be worth. Factory Bisleys also have a roll marked cylinder and were not available in convertibles (22 LR only). A DIYS kitgun Bisley would have value as a shooter but not much as a collector piece. The parts unique to a Bisley are: Hammer, trigger, roll marked non-fluted cylinder, steel Bisley grip frame, two Allen head upper grip frame screws, and wood Bisley grips. Single-Six Bisleys had a 6 1/2" barrel and were available with fully adjustable sights or fixed sights, which also have a different front sight. A stainless Bisley Single-Six would make a nifty partner to a stainless Bisley Blackhawk!!

Here's my Bisley Single-Six ... catalog number RB22-AW, made in 1987:

Reactions: Pancho1952
#8 ·
I'm with Iowegan. IF (and that's not an easy if, by the way) you can find an original Single Six Bisley, leave it intact and enjoy it for the great Single Six it is. It will always be worth more than any clone you can make. It's one of the Single Six Holy Grails.

I got lucky over the summer and found one of the scarcer versions with this fixed sight,fluted cylinder SS Bisley.

#9 ·
NCG, Looks like I need to take a new and better picture of my S-S Bisley. The current picture doesn't do the gun justice .... the grips are much like yours and so is the bluing. Jealousy here!! I am glad you posted your picture because your Bisley has a fixed rear sight and a slightly different front sight .... which may give johnfland a bit more to think about.

One question though .... I have never seen a Single-Six Bisley with a fluted cylinder and no roll mark. I know with Ruger ... never say never but it would appear your cylinder may not be factory original. One way to tell is to look at the front cylinder face and see if the last 3-digits of the S/N are electric penciled in. Not that it makes any difference .... but curious minds want to know!

#19 · (Edited)
Oh, it's all original, serial number and all. I did some research and this version, the RB-22 is the scarcest factory version, though there were some special runs that are slightly less common. Check out this post on another forum.

Not to rub it in, but found mine, NIB, at an estate auction and none of the other bidders had a clue as to what it was. Got it for $320. :)

#10 · (Edited)
John,

Single Six Bisley hammer # BR04000B

Only blue has ever been available, but it will polish out and match stainless steel perfectly.

They were made in stainless, KXR04000B, only for limited edition models #KRB-24AW and #KRB-24FW, and have never been sold as parts to my knowledge. But you could ask!

Someone this month on the Ruger forum called Ruger and was able to buy a blue Bisley single six hammer. If the first parts guy says no. Call back and get someone different.

The base sizes of the Single Six hammer and the larger frame hammers are identical.
Worse case scenario, get the large size stainless Bisley hammer, cut a section out, have it tig welded back together with 416 rod, dress down, and polish. It will match perfectly.

I did that with this blue SBH hammer and lengthened the nose on stainless Vaquero hammers to fill the hammer channel:

Jim

#70 ·
Okay...now I'm jealous! That is absolutely beautiful!

I'm in the process of changing my 6.5" SS Single-Six to a Bird's Head Grip (never did like those plow handle grips)...fit is nice...we'll see how well it 'fits' and functions when it's all done!

#23 ·
BTW, last week I called Ruger and asked if they had any Single Six Bisley hammers, preferably a stainless steel #KBR04000B. I was told (quite surprisingly) that they ONLY make stainless now, and it looked like some were available in their system but not yet off the production floor and in shipping. I ordered one, will keep everyone posted on progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.