Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a modern safety action single six which I think was a Lipsey's offering, in polished stainless steel, 3-3/4" barrel, fixed Vaquero style sites, and birdshead grip frame. My other single six's are older 3 screw guns and I prefer that multi-click action. So, the question is whether a modern transfer bar single six can be converted to the old action? If, so, do you know who has parts of can do the work? Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,010 Posts
DrHenley, The Power Custom kit does not eliminate the transfer bar, it just makes the gun load from a half cock.

gk2410, I guess if you want to throw enough money at it, you can do most anything. The Old Model and New Model are different designs so there's no easy way to convert a Vaquero.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DrHenley, The Power Custom kit does not eliminate the transfer bar, it just makes the gun load from a half cock.
Gotcha.

You said "My other single six's are older 3 screw guns and I prefer that multi-click action" so based on that statement I thought you were looking for a multi-click action.

The description of the product says "Provides 3 positive clicks when hammer is cocked" so that kit doesn't JUST make the gun load from a half cock.

Getting rid of the transfer bar will require cutting off the transfer bar and removing the firing pin and possibly drilling out the firing pin hole more so that you have a hole for the hammer's firing pin to go through. And a hammer with the firing pin, of course. I don't see that as particularly difficult. I could probably "Bubba" that up out in the shop myself. :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,010 Posts
DrHenley, Non-converted Old Models load/unload from a half cock. They have 4 distinctive clicks …. one from the safety notch, then one from the cylinder latch/hammer plunger, one from the hammer's halfcock notch, and finally one from the hammer's full cock notch.

New Models load/unload with the hammer fully forward. They don't have a half cock notch nor a safety notch so when you cock the hammer, you only hear two clicks …. the first from the cylinder latch/hammer plunger and one from the full cock notch.

When the Power Custom hammer and trigger are installed, the gun works much like a converted Old Model and loads/unloads from a half cock, however the PC hammer does not have a safety notch. You still get a click from the hammer plunger/cylinder latch and full cock notch and guess where the other click comes from? Yup, the half cock notch. If you are counting, the PC hammer & trigger provide a 3-click action like a converted OM whereas an unconverted OM has 4 clicks, and a NM has 2 clicks.

Here's a photo of three types of Ruger SA hammers. The center hammer is an Old Model. Note the three distinctive notches in the lower section. The hammer on the right is from a New Model. It only has a full cock notch. Both the NM and OM hammers have a hammer plunger. The hammer on the left is from a "conversion" and has only a half cock and full cock notch, very much like a Power Custom hammer except it does not have a hammer plunger.

Although hearing/counting clicks may be fun for some people, they are really an indicator of function. Point being, the purpose of the second click in a Power Custom hammer is the half cock notch, it's not there just to make a click sound, rather the click is a biproduct of the halfcock notch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts