Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a half dozen Rugers from Mach1 to KP 345DPR. I have nothing in the .40 SW caliber and have a opportunity to buy an unfired KP944 supposedly DC for $400. Haven't inspected the pistol, but will probably get to this week. Is the .40 SW a good round?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
While i have no experience with the 944, i have shot my share of other 40 cal pistols, i can say that the 40 has become probably one of the most successfully introduced new rounds of the last century. It probably has the lion's share of the leo market and is here to stay.
Its a fence rider for sure, Less capacity than a 9mm, more capacity than a 45. Good reports of stopping power. The only negatives i have is the recoil is snappy---i find the 9mm or the 45 for that matter to be more controlable. Also i find the 9 and 45 to be generally more accurate---but thats me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will stick with my 345 and save my money and add a new SR9 to my collection. If there is such a pistol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This link gives a good respected and well referenced artical on the 40. If you are looking for muzzle energy with expanding self defence rounds. And not just a plinking gun than a 40 is a wonderful cartridge. Accuracy and compactness of a 9 but generally around 500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That is stopping power and stings behind a vest. My KP944 deckocer is a wonderful pistol and I have never experienced any discomfort in shooting it. Too me it feels just like shooting a 9. But I have youth on my side and maybee with age the discomfort is more apearant. I have a .380, 9, .357, .357 sig, .40 and .45. And for me I choose my .380 or .40 for personal defense every time. And I have the numbers of many police departments switching to 40 on my side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S&W

·
Registered
842 Posts
My friend and sometimes shooting buddy swears by the .40 S&W as do many others, but being a contrary old fart and a reloader, I'm gonna stick with the 9MMs and the .45s. As to reloading, I'm a bit leery of the .40. Far too many mishaps to suit me and I've never been truly convinced it's that much better than the best 9MM rds of today. Also I'm a great believer in the .45 ACP. JMO
Baker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
ok---here's a reason. if this sr9 series takes off like they think it will and expand into different calibers, the p-series may pass into history in a few years. Ruger still appears to be dis-continuing more models than introducing as they get leaner and meaner.

But no mater how much i may like the new ones, the p90 stays!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the 40 has more wrist snap then the 9mm or 45. Most apparent when shooting from a rest or sandbags. The 45 is more of a gentle forceful push, the 40 like a meek 357mag. but noticeably different. Not unpleasant to shoot offhand however. Just my own experience, being of the other side of "youth".

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Personally I have no experance with the .40 caliber round. But a relitive of mine would swear by it in a court of law if that were allowed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The KP94 is the first pistol I ever bought. It's heavy enough that the .40 doesn't feel any hotter than my P95. That was almost 4 years ago and I paid 395 for it used. It's a wonderful pistol and really fun to shoot the .40 out of. My Springfield XD-40 seems to have a little more snap than my Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
I have owned a P94 in 40S&W for 13 years and I have never had a failure of any kind even with my reloads. My 94 likes 155 gr bullets and shoot to point of aim at 25 yards with them. I own a couple other auto's and several revolvers and it is the most accurate handgun I own. I am not recoil sensitive and I think the weight of the 94 helps mitigate the recoil so I really don't notice it.

At $400 the price is at or even slightly under wholesale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not any where near an expert but just to see what all the hoopla was about I shot a friend's .40 handgun (Hi-point) and I didn't think it kicked a bit harder than a light 9mm. I was surprised as I was always told it was quite snappy. Maybe the hi-point absorbs a lot of snap. I think the .45 gives a little more than a mild push myself. Big difference to me from a 40. just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a KP944 it is an excellent pistol. It is more accurate for me than my Beretta 96 duty gun with less felt recoil. In fact IMHO it has less recoil than many 9mm's!! I'm not sure about being snappy I personally do not see it. I have little to no experience with .45's but as far as knock down power goes except for my .357 you can't hardly beat a .40 s&w.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts