Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the gun shop today just killing some time at lunch. I checked out the Ruger .22 pistols, very nice. I also like the Browning Buckmark or whatever they call it, feels very nice in my hand.

Anyway, then I looked at the prices for .22 ammo! No wonder people love these guns for target shooting!! The guns were reasonably priced also. Might have to look into this further. I mean, building skills with a .22 handgun has to translate at SOME level to bigger caliber handguns, right?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I feel that everybody should have a good .22 rifle and pistol. You can learn all you need to learn with these guns, and transfer that knowledge to the bigger calibers. Whenever I start to flinch with my bigger guns, I will stop what I am doing and grab my Ruger Mk2 for some back to fundamental basics. Everybody should start shooting with a .22. I am a firm beleiver in that.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes a lot of sense.

Hey seriously, what do you think of those Browning .22s, as compared to the Rugers?

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
90% of your marksman fundamentals can be learned with a .22. I have shot competitively with .22 and .308.
They both use the exact same core fundamentals: trigger squeeze, breathing control, aiming, grip, etc. The only difference is some of the factors that come in to play due to the distance (bullet-drop, crosswind, etc).

I love a .22, it is perhaps my favorite caliber because it's cheap! Not just the bullets but to build a tack-driving rifle. I have a decked out "Ultimate 10/22" that is a real tack driver I built for under $800.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Makes a lot of sense.

Hey seriously, what do you think of those Browning .22s, as compared to the Rugers?
I can make a comparison between the ruger mkII and the buckmark.
At the risk of getting rocks thrown at me, i felt that the browning had a better out-of-box trigger and was more accurate than the ruger making it a better range/target weapon. The browning was also easier to scope/red dot with a b-square scope mount and the browning is easier to tear down and re-assemble. On the down side, the browning is not a tool-less take-down design as is the ruger. The screws on the browning can be snapped in two if tightened too tight--(seen a feller do it)and the browning requires more frequent cleaning to keep functioning. If i remember right, browning mags are more expensive and browning is sold with only one mag. Ruger ships theirs with two mags.
I consider the ruger a better field pistol and a more durable design.
Don't have any experience with the ruger mkIII series but they from what i understand are easier to scope out than mkII's?. Lots of after-market options for the ruger compared to the browning.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
The MKIII comes tapped for a optic mount now. I know the Hunter comes with the optic base too, not sure what other models come with the base.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow that's sharp. Love that finish.

I noticed those 'flutes' or whatever you would call them in the barrel. What's that all about? Weight reduction? I think they look cool, but I know there's a functional reason for them too.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Keith
like the looks of those "two-tone" grips. Half-checkered/half-smooth!

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
The fluting has several purposes, it exposes more barrel to allow faster cooling, and reduces the weight. The #1 reason for the fluting: Suckers like me think it looks sweet and will buy it!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh, increased surface area. Should have thought of that. I did already think of the 'looks sweet so I'll buy it' aspect!

·
Registered
842 Posts
deputy125 >"browning is sold with only one mag. Ruger ships theirs with two mags.
I consider the ruger a better field pistol and a more durable design."

Deputy, I've shot Brownings belonging to other people at the range and really liked them but I agree with you on the Ruger MKII durability. This one has had at least two other owners and maybe more before it came to me. Last year I did replace the recoil spring unit and extractor and change grips. It's still going strong and Lord only knows how many rds this old gun has fired and it still even looks pretty good for all of the moving around it's done.
Baker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yes sir! there are a tremendous amount of older rugers out there that are like a Timex--they just keep on ticking!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Y'all see this "exclusive from davidson's wholesale?

So many special run guns out there that we may never hear about and will not be in a blue book.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts