Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Internet digging indicates that few commercial products do much for copper fouling in the barrel from shooting jacketed ammo. www.frfrogspad.com indicates only a product called KG12 or a homemade ammonia solution did much good. Others, including Hoppe's 9, apparently did very little good. However, is copper fouling a problem with pistols, or mostly with rifles? Seems to me I read somewhere that at pistol caliber velocities, copper fouling was inconsequential. Any advice? Thanks, John

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I usually clean my guns, both rifles and pistols, with Hoppes #9, then when the patches start coming out clean, follow up with copper cleaner untill those patches come clean as well. This, of course, is when I have shot jacketed bullets. I usually shoot lead bullets first and follow up with jacketed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the key to removing copper fouling imo is to get your cleaning agent in the barrel, let it sit for 15, run a dry patch to see ifyour getting any green on it, a sign that its disolving copper, saturate it again and let it sit then clean.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't have of a problem with copper as I am with Creepy. I shoot about 98% lead. I have some Blue Wonder that has ammonia in it, and it takes out what little copper might be in the gun after a soak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts