Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
9,659 Posts
Has anyone tried the Mossberg Shockwave or similar?
On snakes, not yet but will do a fine job with #7 or #8. My snake charmer II in 410 with #8 has taken many. But my remy tac 14 would be more than suitable.

Matter of fact wife called me before i got of shift the other day, said she saw a light brown snakes tail sticking out of a bush next to the garage that morning. She got out a hoe to get it but didn't. I asked why she didn't go get the 410. So when i got home i searched the area, and the yard, no sign of it. Figured it was a copperhead. Had the snake charmer ready, as always.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
On snakes, not yet but will do a fine job with #7 or #8. My snake charmer II in 410 with #8 has taken many. But my remy tac 14 would be more than suitable.

Matter of fact wife called me before i got of shift the other day, said she saw a light brown snakes tail sticking out of a bush next to the garage that morning. She got out a hoe to get it but didn't. I asked why she didn't go get the 410. So when i got home i searched the area, and the yard, no sign of it. Figured it was a copperhead. Had the snake charmer ready, as always.
I have a light weight 410 single shot. I load 1/3 oz #8 in a 45 Colt shell. Works great as a light load. Would be more than sufficient for a snake. Don't have your problem so I have not had an opportunity to try on a snake but it patterns very well. I have 4 pellet 000 buck and 1/4 oz slugs if I run into anything bigger.
I was considering a Shockwave in 410 with a laser. Load a #8 and the 000's.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,659 Posts
I have a light weight 410 single shot. I load 1/3 oz #8 in a 45 Colt shell. Works great as a light load. Would be more than sufficient for a snake. Don't have your problem so I have not had an opportunity to try on a snake but it patterns very well. I have 4 pellet 000 buck and 1/4 oz slugs if I run into anything bigger.
I was considering a Shockwave in 410 with a laser. Load a #8 and the 000's.
I dont see why it wouldnt be effective. I very rarely need a second shot with the 410 however i have killed a few with my glock 42 in 380acp, 5ft away or so, im pretty good with a pistol too, maybe 1 or 2 shots. The speer gold dots are deadly on snakes too. :p Usually wear it when working in the yard. Do have a guy i work with that has a place on the river that has a judge he uses on a regular basis to terminate cotton mouths, copperheads, and rattlers near the water, when he is cutting grass. He has a couple acres. Seems he shoots one weekly. Glad i dont have that problem.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
"The Real Deal"
9,659 Posts
You can always get one of those ruberr toy snakes and practice on it so your aiming improves.
I had one of those at the firehouse i used to prank the other guys. A little flat paint, and watch them run. 🤣 🤣

Worst was when i rigged it up to the outward opening doors with fishing line. You open the door it would come at you. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dearly hate copperheads and cottonmouth snakes and we have an abundance of both here in North Arkansas. If I come across them in the woods I just give them lot's of room and leave 'em be.

But if they're here on the place close to the house or the barn they get a snout full of shot from whatever I'm carrying at the time which is usually a .357,.44 spl or .45 Colt with a CCI shot cartridge. A .22 solid to the noggin calms them right down just as well.

Our little granddaughter is 4 and I sure don't want her running over one of the wretched things when she comes to visit.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,659 Posts
My pops was telling me about one of his neighbors that apparently was cleaning in her back yard and got bitten. Said they had to air lift her, must have been a cotton mouth or copperhead. Not sure.

• Wow
Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
13,515 Posts
@Tacky ... All of this talk of cotton mouths and such sure isn't making me want to go to NC when i retire ... lets see cold weather verses snakes ...

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
9,659 Posts
@Tacky ... All of this talk of cotton mouths and such sure isn't making me want to go to NC when i retire ... lets see cold weather verses snakes ...
On a serious note i dont see alot of them really, maybe 1 or 2 a year that i have to deal with if that. Its not as bad as it may seem. If you stay outta the woods, swamp, you wont have any problems with them. For the occasional straggler, a 410 will suffice. Look at it this way its an excuse to buy a few more guns. 😉

Id rather have to deal with a snake 1 or 2 tines a year than have to worry bout snow removal everyday.. A great trade off.

·
Registered
653 Posts
On a serious note i dont see alot of them really, maybe 1 or 2 a year that i have to deal with if that. Its not as bad as it may seem. If you stay outta the woods, swamp, you wont have any problems with them. For the occasional straggler, a 410 will suffice. Look at it this way its an excuse to buy a few more guns. 😉

Id rather have to deal with a snake 1 or 2 tines a year than have to worry bout snow removal everyday.. A great trade off.
Welll...Even with snow removal and subzero temperatures, in Utah we still have ratlesnakes of several varieties to be careful of when the weather warms up. 😎

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Has anyone tried the Mossberg Shockwave or similar?
My regular old Mossie makes short work of copperheads, as would any scattergun. But no long Gun is easy to have on you when, say, mowing the grass, running equipment, weeding, or working in the barn. I need the gun when I need it, and copperheads often move away fast.

I suppose you could carry a Shockwave on a sling, but that is too much bother when two shots of .38 shot shells do the job fine.

So it remains my Kimber K6S or Bond Arms Roughneck on my hip, in my vest, or even in the garden bucket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thick with copperheads here. Including one the made its way inside into the master BR to be discovered by the better half at 6 AM one morning last year after an addition got a make over with windows and doors replaced. Apparently it gained ingress during "lunch hour" when openings were truly open with no observation a few weeks before. Knee high snake boots are the best bet. If dealing with a slope for clearing, string trimming, etc.; snake boots plus chaps are the best bet. My property sounds similar in setting. We're on a western facing slope. If you get gaiters be sure to do the "needle test" on them.
Do you have an audio of the wifey finding the sneaky snake in the bedroom?🎶☠😂

·
Registered
379 Posts
I will admit to being on the unusual side as I simply cannot understand all this killing of snakes! Now, I don't want copperheads hanging around my house so I catch them and relocate them down by the creek. Never seen a cottonmouth here but I suppose it's possible. They're even crankier than copperheads and if I felt I couldn't safely capture it, I might have to do like the fat broad in BC and use a stick on 'em. Saw lot's of different rattlers in AZ and never killed a single one. Spent a fair amount of time telling guys who came into my shop wanting snake shot that it wasn't A. Necessary B. Didn't work all that well in the first place!
In 99.9% of human/snake encounters it's much easier and safer if you just step out of their way. Snakes are not out to "get" people, they're just scared (they know everything bigger than they are is probably going to eat them) and want to get away. Here's some facts for all of you guys: 98% of all venomous (there are no poisonous snakes in the USA) snake bites happen when someone is trying to capture or kill the snake. Of the remaining venomous snake bites, 98% of them are what are called "dry" bites... that is, the snake is startled an gives a defensive bite with no venom injected (I will add that the vast majority of bites in the USA are rattlesnake bites and that these numbers may or may not apply to cottonmouths or copperheads). Now, you don't want to take even a dry bite from a venomous snake because there's always some amount of residual venom in their fangs. It's gonna hurt like the dickens but it's unlikely to be fatal. Now, if you're molesting the snake in any way and he gets the chance to bite you, you're going to get a full jolt of venom and even with something like copperhead (very few fatal bites to healthy adults) your going to be in a world of hurt and a hospital stay is mandatory. Coral snakes, although their venom is some of the most potent of any snake in the US, is pretty unlikely to be able to invenonmate an adult because they are rear fanged and cannot inject any venom, as their fangs are little more than an enlarged tooth with a groove so they have to bite and then chew to get any venom in the wound. This does NOT mean you can safely handle them, even though as a species, they are generally reluctant to bite. Even a little of their venom can be devastating to a person so it's best to just leave them alone. But they are the least likely snake to bite a human as long as you are not one of those clowns trying to capture or kill them! So leave them be!
Clearly you don't want venomous snakes lurking around your home, especially if you have any kids, dogs or livestock around. And to be honest, if you're afraid of them, killing them is probably the best way to keep them away from your house. But do note, if you kill every snake you find around your house (assuming you live somewhere out in the woods and not in a subdivision in the city) it won't be long before you're up to your butt in rodents of every brand! Much worse than having a few (non-venomous) snakes around. As to snake shot... I realize this can be a point of contention but I have seen so many failures of the stuff to kill a snake that it's not even funny. Pellets out of any rifled barrel spread out so quickly that the odds of a clean and rapid kill is pretty unlikely... unless you get really close, something I do not advise when it comes to dealing with venomous snakes! It will usually kill them but it's a matter of "eventually" and often does not actually kill the snake. Plus the shot used in the shot capsules is very small (#8 or 8.5 in most centerfire cartridges and #9 in the rimfire rounds) and is very unlikely to kill a snake quickly. The #9 used in rimfire rounds is mostly useless unless you get in very close, which is too close when dealing with a venomous snake that is trying to stay alive! I understand there are some situations where it's just not feasible to leave them hanging around but just don't go killing snakes for no reason (and being afraid of them is NOT a valid reason!). One should never kill a non-venomous snake, period. They are much too beneficial to humans, more so than most people will ever realize. If you need to dispatch a venomous snake the best method is a hoe... just cut off the head then bury it [keeping in mind that the severed head is still dangerous! If your dog sniffs it, the dog can be bitten - including the injection of venom! - long after the head is seperated from it's body!] Just use the hoe to dig a trench 6 or so inches deep and use the hoe to push the head in the trench, then cover it with dirt.
There is so much most people don't know about snakes and that causes fear and worry. Learn about your local snakes and how to identify the dangerous ones from the harmless ones, then leave the harmless ones alone! Even the venomous snakes have a place in the eco system and a job to do. Don't kill them without a very good reason. It's just not necessary!
Sorry this is so long but people slaughtering any kind of creature for no reason is a pet peeve of mine. If I can convince even one person not to bother the snakes then it's worth my time (you won't, however, find me holding my breath!)
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
All good and well but a friend had his young daughter bit in their back yard. Air lifted to the hospital in Phoenix and she nearly died. With kids, pets or other animals around venomous snakes are dangerous. I have seen a good number of rattlers hiking in AZ but never needed to kill one. I did carry a 357 revolver with snake shot just in case. I make my own with #8 shot. We do have a rattler called the Mojave Green that is aggressive. Never saw one and we hiked a lot. If I find one in my yard I will call animal control or if necessary use the 410.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,659 Posts
I do not go out looking for snakes to slaughter, but with a 3 year old, a dog, and cat around my place, if they dare to cross into my compound, they will be terminated with extreme prejudice, so they cannot harm anyone.

I understand their contribution to the ecosystem, but ive also seen what a snake bite can do, its on the level of 3rd degree burns that can kill, and require numerous skin grafs to repair. Ive seen it.

So they wont be bothered unless they are trespassing on my property then they will suffer the consequence. Just my policy.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts