Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a LCP for pocket carry - wondering if the +p corbon dpx is ok?

I found some for $21 a box on gunbroker - is that a good price?

·
Registered
14 Posts
+p really is a waste of your time and money. Think about it for just a second. You have a handgun with a very short barrel. You are only gonna get so much velocity out of it. And I have seen a few handgun get damaged from the +p. And just becasue your handgun can handle it doesn't make it any better. I also talked to a friend of mine who works for a LGS and he said the same thing. They sell the +p but he always tells the folks that it will not make any noticeable differance in performace. The little differance you get is really not gonna help. Save your money.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Page #11 of the LCP manual states not to use +P ammunition.

The 380 Auto 80gr DPX doesn't seem to be rated +P though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The 80gr Cor-Bon DPX .380 self defense loads are in fact NOT +P loads. They are listed as "Standard velocity loads" and your LCP will handle them just fine. The problem with most .380 pistol's is that their barrel length isn't sufficient to provide enough of a "runway" for the powder charge to completely ignite inside the barrel. Most of the charge will burn but some of it will continue to burn after the bullet leaves the barrel and that extra energy will be lost to the atmosphere. +P loads are only effective in those weapons that have barrel lengths that will allow the extra charge to burn before the bullet exits the barrel. The DPX cartridge is a fine choice for personal defense, just be sure they function in your LCP before putting them into service. Good practice would be to run a couple boxes through your LCP to determin their point of aim & point of impact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts