Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,
I am a new member, I just bought a ROA that was made in 1983, and it came with aftermarket grips. They are pretty nice, but I would like to pick up a set of original grips that would be correct for my revolver.

I am looking at two different sets, both are walnut, but one has a black phoenix medallion, and the other has the silver phoenix medallion. Does anyone know which set would be correct for a 1983 made ROA?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grips for Old Army Revolvers are confusing to say the least. If you look at the grip frame it should read xr3 or xr3 red somewhere. That gives a clue as to which panels fit. My guess is, the grip panels being the same, blued ones on blued pistol and silver colored ones being on stainless. I have stainless old army and it has stainless colored inserts I believe. I purchased some aftermarket rubber grips for mine to add some cushioning and size.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,000 Posts
wildcat1004, Ruger used XR3-RED grip frames on ROAs, the same exact grip frame used on Old Model Single-Sixes and Blackhawks …. except those with brass grip frames. The period correct grips are walnut with a chrome eagle and black background and a "SR". Here's an example:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, those are the ones I thought for blued. My ROA is stainless. My grips looked like this. Are they just buffed out or different? ROA grips can be confusing. They mention replacement grips for round trigger guards and square ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is what I replaced them with. They work ok. As they came I had to trim some excess rubber around the edges. I just installed them a few weeks ago. If I do a little more fitting at the front of the grip behind the trigger guard they will be better. I just wanted something a little bigger and with more grip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is an article I read that was interesting about Ruger frames.
Do a search on Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames

·
16,000 Posts
wildcat1004, Here's my ROA …. made in 1973 and shipped with a brass grip frame. This grip frame uses the same grips as a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" or 10 1/2" barrel..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice looking ROA. Better than my stainless. I remember reading that brass framed ones had the square trigger guard. As you can see, mine is round and the grip itself is larger. I would think mine is a later production than yours. The OP is going to have to look his up. If he has square trigger guard like yours, it is easy. If round like mine, there are more than one type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My gun is blued, round trigger guard, with serial number 145-47913, that puts it made in 1983.

·
16,000 Posts
Rabbit57, Your ROA uses XR3-RED grips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts