Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the greatest eyes and wanted to add a red dot to my PC Carbine so I can shoot with both eyes open and improve accuracy at a farther distance.

I tried sighting in my new Burris FastFire 3 at 25yards, 50yards, 75 yards, and 85 yards ( https://www.reddit.com/r/pistolcalibercarbine/comments/onj1hy ).

I noticed I had a hard time sighting in at anything 50yds+ simply because my eyes can't align a red dot to a center target with repeatable precision, so hard to say if it's inaccuracy due to my error, the rounds (9mm 115grains), or the gun itself. (assuming me)

I ended up just sighting in at 25yards. Any recommendations on a better distance? A rule of thumb to follow for 9mm carbines?

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,539 Posts
I have a Marlin Camp 9, I initially zero'd my red dot at 25yds.
Not sure if I have adjusted it since then, the farthest I generally shoot it is about 80yds.

I have not had much luck shooting 9mm past 100yds and it wasn't that great at 100.
At 100 you hear the bang.... and then you hear a "whack", the impact with the target. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Go with the red dots documentation. Don't worry what its on. Usually it will spell out a 25 yard or 50 yard zero for mathmatical/design reasons. Often, the manufaturer will have nice graduated grid targets with a moa/to click conversion for you. If not, google or post your model here and someone will dig one up for you. Makes a difference. Start out right, save grief.

·
Registered
334 Posts
As noted above, check the red dot recommendations. Using iron sights, with the 115 gr. FMJ 9mm at approximately 1150 fps, my zero at 25 yards gives me a drop of approximately 9 inches at 100 yards. A fifty yard zero gives me a drop of approximately 9 inches at 100 yards.

Your velocity will be higher out of the carbine, and your sight height will be greater, so the drops will be less than mine at 25 and 50 yards respectively.

As a side note, use a sight-in target that allows you to clearly see the center with your red dot. Something like this.
Rectangle Orange Font Creative arts Pattern

·
Registered
491 Posts
The dot in red dots range from 4 moa to a minimum of 2 moa in size, most being 3 moa in diameter. If you split the difference in bullet rise/drop, you will always be within the edge of the dot you are aiming with. If @JTJ is correct in his chart above, you should be fine at 20-25 yards. With 5.56, 36 yards is used a lot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The trouble I’ve found on my 45pcc in uspsa/zsa shoots is that there is such a difference between my vortex red dot and bore line that I shoot way low up close. It’s just something that you have to be conscious of. At 25 yds though it’s fine and seems to be the same poa-poi. Pistol rounds are not rifle rounds and drop severely at distance. Watched Miculek make some crazy long shot with a 38 revolver I think and the sight he calculated for and built looked like a roller coaster but he made the shot.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
With the high sight over bore you will have a 2.5" offset at close range. You have to compensate. I have a laser on one of my PCC,s set to align with the bore. The red dot is 2.5" above the laser dot at close range. Need a double dot red dot.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don't have the greatest eyes and wanted to add a red dot to my PC Carbine so I can shoot with both eyes open and improve accuracy at a farther distance.

I noticed I had a hard time sighting in at anything 50yds+ simply because my eyes can't align a red dot to a center target with repeatable precision, so hard to say if it's inaccuracy due to my error, the rounds (9mm 115grains), or the gun itself. (assuming me)
Welcome to the forum. You are looking for more accuracy but you say your eyes are not that good. In my opinion you should be going with a scope instead of a red dot sight. A decent scope should get you at least 1 moa out to 75 yards or further if your rifle and ammo plus you are up to the task. I could never do very well beyond 25 yards with a red dot but a lot of people claim they can.

A scope will get you the precision you are looking for if you, the rifle and the ammo are up to the task. A red dot will get you quick target acquisition but not the precision a scope will. If you keep both eyes open when acquiring a target it will be almost as fast as using a red dot to acquire your target.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
With the high sight over bore you will have a 2.5" offset at close range. You have to compensate. I have a laser on one of my PCC,s set to align with the bore. The red dot is 2.5" above the laser dot at close range. Need a double dot red dot.
There are bdc's on prism scopes. And I believe 1 or two 9mm bdc reticals on red dots by primary arms/holosun. I do not have one, but was tempted.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Most CF rifle scopes are parallax set a 100-140 yards. Look at shotgun/muzzle loader scopes. They usually have a shorter 50-70 yard parallax setting and some are circle cross hair. If the PCC is similar to an AR a Prism scope might be a choice. I have a few discontinued Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4x32 shotgun scopes on 22lr's. Would be a great choice of a PCC.
There are bdc's on prism scopes. And I believe 1 or two 9mm bdc reticals on red dots by primary arms/ Holosun. I do not have one, but was tempted.
I have a Holosun 503G with a chevron and BDC. Meant for a 5.56x45 and too tight and cluttered. A simple 2 dot would work better on a PCC. I have found the circle dots to work well at close range. The circle is usually 65 MOA and is very close to the sized of the pattern from a cylinder bore shotgun. 65 MOA is about 6.5" at 10 yards. My wife appropriated one I had planned to put on a shotgun for her 22lr Charger.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I zero my red dot at 50 yards. My eyes are not good enough to push further than this without a magnifier.

Red dots are for paper plate sized groups done fast. Scopes are for fist sized groups, done slower, and much further away.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Most CF rifle scopes are parallax set a 100-140 yards. Look at shotgun/muzzle loader scopes. They usually have a shorter 50-70 yard parallax setting and some are circle cross hair. If the PCC is similar to an AR a Prism scope might be a choice. I have a few discontinued Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4x32 shotgun scopes on 22lr's. Would be a great choice of a PCC.

I have a Holosun 503G with a chevron and BDC. Meant for a 5.56x45 and too tight and cluttered. A simple 2 dot would work better on a PCC. I have found the circle dots to work well at close range. The circle is usually 65 MOA and is very close to the sized of the pattern from a cylinder bore shotgun. 65 MOA is about 6.5" at 10 yards. My wife appropriated one I had planned to put on a shotgun for her 22lr Charger.
The error on the 2.5-2x prism from primary arms (gl something something something) is reportedly just right for 20-125 yards. As stated, I do not have one, but I have ran a acog by trij. It is good at those ranges. In close, for intended use, it works anyway. But again NO DIRECT KNOWLEDGE they just tried hard to get me to use them, and I never did. Aimpoint/leupold/crimson/bushnell/trij are my familiar optics. For me, the PRO on low mount was the ticket for the pcc. From 10-130 yards its pretty much where the dot is, the lead will surely follow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts