Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, got a chance to test fire my 9mm Blackhawk with the newly installed "high" rear sight blade. Not only did the white outline and wider notch make for better "range" shooting, but it worked:)

I fired 12 rounds of Wolf 115 gr., these hit just below POA, as seen in the pic , I aimed at the "belt" of the target. Then I fired 12 rounds of Fiocchi 147 gr. at the "center mass" orange circle. Hit to POA,maybe a hair high..... some of the rounds hit high and low, and some were to the left, but that was just me getting used to the SA style grip frame.

Then, fired most of a box of 124 gr. Winchester "NATO" at the head of the target, again I pulled some left, but into a tight group. The rest hit pretty much dead on for POA when I did my part. Fired another 6 from a rested position into a clean part of the paper, and produced a decent 6 shot group. All shooting was done at 15 yards. When I get time I will zero the gun at 25 yards, probably with 124 gr. to "split the difference" so to speak, since these seemed to hit dead on.

The rear sight is still sitting "high" in the frame, but not like before the new blade, where it was a click away from the screw coming out, hanging on my a half thread of screw.....if I could find an even higher blade I would use it, don't think one exists.

Now at some point a line of Testors Red on the front sight and that's it........I've gotten lazy and cheap in my mid-30's, in my younger years I would have had my gunsmith install a red insert, do a full action job, lighter springs, etc. but now, It's good, it goes bang with 3 brands of ammo known for hard primers with the stock springs, shoots with acceptable accuracy and the trigger is decent, so I'm not fooling with it any more. It has already started to break in nicely after about 150 rounds so far, and will continue to do so. I have more rounds on this gun in one week than some of my other guns have seen in 5 years.....

I fired two cylinders at a polymer "swinger" target from 25 yards to maybe 40-ish yards and most of my rounds hit the target. Not bad, 30 minutes of fun, 62 rounds fired, burned up less than $20 in ammo........thus the fun of a 9mm wheelgun:) I get to shoot a great gun, a great Ruger, and not have to have my wallet purged to do it:)

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used "Jiffy Orange" on the front sight of my new .45 Convertible Blackhawk.

Spent a whole $1.50 for the stuff at the discount store. Nothings to good for my guns.

:D

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reached the point in life where I need to stop pizzing money away, so the bottle of red Testors I have laying around is better than paying a gunsmith $50 to put a red insert sight in, and I'm not attempting that myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts