Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend called a few days ago to see if I could help a lady dispose of the guns and such that her late husband had collected over the years. Went there Wednesday morning.

Lots of guns, ammo, reloading stuff. Got through everything and it was just too much for me to handle on a consignment basis and she wanted to get them sold as soon as possible. Referred her to an auctioneer who I know that does a lot of estate auctions with guns and gets good crowds. She is going to go this route because she is probably going to sell most of the stuff in the house including the house and acreage (7 wooded acres) and move to a smaller place. Took me about 3 hours to inventory the gun stuff and I might have missed some of it (she kept taking me different places and said, oh, here's some more (ammo, components, older reloading gear). Told her to tell me when the auction was and I'd let my customers know.

Well, there were 3 Rugers in the mix and I expressed interest in them and a few Ruger odds and ends. She told me to get what I wanted and she'd sell it all to me at a good price for helping her. When she gave me the price I said no, everything is worth more than that, but she insisted so I paid her. For $800 I got:

Ruger Security Six .357 Mag, 2 3/4"

Ruger KP89DC 9mm

Ruger OM Blackhawk Flattop (Unconverted) .357 Mag 6 1/2"

Pretty good morning I guess

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Those are really nice handguns and a very good price. I know that you didn't take advantage of her, she really wanted you to have them. Also, if you knew what he paid for them initially, it probably wasn't all that much more than you gave her.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well in today's market I wonder how the auction will go. In the past I've seen auctions get some high prices for guns. Just look at some of the stuff on gun broker today.
You did well by being honest. I hope in the end she is very pleasantly surprised. And many other people happy with something new to them that they have been looking for.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As I've aged and developed a heart condition, I've made sure this sort of thing doesn't happen to my wife. I've seen it with other friends and it can be overwhelming for a spouse.
First, She has instruction to call particular trusted friends to help her sort my stuff out.
Second, I keep a spread sheet with the complete inventory of firearms to include description, serial number and current value of all my guns. An up to date copy stays in the safe. The spreadsheet also includes the name of several LGS that will take the collection for a 15% consignment.
There will still be a significant effort to move the stuff but there is no guesswork.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,700 Posts
I keep a spread sheet with the complete inventory of firearms to include description, serial number and current value of all my guns. A up to date copy stays in teh safe. The spreadsheet also includes the name of several LGS that will take the collection for a 15% consignment.
Very smart. We are reviewing updated wills today (!) with our attorney. He has a list of lots of personal property including all the firearms. Some family guns are left to family members with an interest. The rest would go to an estate sale. We do not have many, so my wife would not be overwhelmed, but you also do not want family fighting over stuff.

When I am gone they are free to blame me, who will not care less at that point ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts