Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around for a load to use some 95 grain cast bullets for, these are RNFP. Could one consider them to be a SWC design?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I would, to answer the original question. Or simpler, wide flat nose in some circles.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it comes down to the meplat of the bullet ... in this case the meplat has got to be nearly 70% of the bullet diameter ... the biggest thing that i can see is the abrupt shoulder, this bullet is close but not exactly, so that was why i was asking ...

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have seen these same bullets called both. They do have a slight shoulder like a typical swc, but due to the caliber there is not much difference between that and the nose.

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts
Before reloading though place make sure the bullet seating depth and powder are not going to cause any problems. Pressure is is very sensitive to how the bullet depth sits in the case for the same powder charge.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Is there a similar bullet in any manual and what is it designated? That would be my first step in trying to answer your question. To me, it looks unlike a wadcutter or semi-wadcutter. Perhaps a manual reference would help? My two cents.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The place I bought them from classifies them as RNFP ... I'm pretty confident that using a SWC load (same bullet weight) would be a safe bet ...

·
Registered
719 Posts
The nose profile won’t make a difference in the pressure. The amount of bullet that goes in the case will. A bullet that is longer from the crimp groove to the base will produce higher pressures than a shorter bullet if everything else is the same. Less room in the case equals higher pressure. That is why you always start with the starting load and work up. Always!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I have seen these same bullets called both. They do have a slight shoulder like a typical swc, but due to the caliber there is not much difference between that and the nose.
Pretty my response as well...I thought all SWC had flat-nose and a slight shoulder hump!

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
For loading data purposes, I’d classify them as SWC because of the bearing surface.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
What ever ya call it, it's a short fat sucker that I wouldn't want to get hit by.

Reactions: rmichael63
1 - 20 of 21 Posts