Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using my 345 for training this weekend and had a feed problem after about 300 rounds. I was using CCI brass ammo. After emptying a magazine and inserting a new magazine the cartridge would enter the barrel half way and stop and hold the slide open. After getting home from training I found a post on another website of a person who had the same problem.
"I had two stoppages, both from dirty ammo and my letting the ramp get too cruddy to allow a good feed. Running my finger down the ramp to knock off powder residue corrected the problem."

Now that I know that is what I will try it. How long should a pistol operate before cleaning? or Is this a reason to have a stiffer recoil spring?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,836 Posts
The P-345 factory recoil spring system is about the best you can hope for. It is very forgiving when shooting different bullet weights and power level loads. Increasing the recoil spring weight is not a fix for DIRTY.

If you wipe down the breach face and feed ramp with a squirt of Hoppies on a rag every 50 rounds, you'll find feeding problems pretty much go away. 300 rounds without cleaning is a lot to ask of any gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iowegan, Another note my wife put about 400 rounds through Her Kp95DPR the same day without a Hiccup. She was shooting WWB Ammo.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,836 Posts
Ruffwood, No doubt, people have fired their semi-autos several thousand rounds without cleaning. The number of rounds fired is not the real issue. If you want your equipment to run trouble free, there are some very wise things you should do. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you! The point I was trying to make was: don't modify the gun to fix a "cleaning" problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The point I was making was how well the P95 worked. I was not criticizing your comments. Now that I know the P345 needs a little TLC after a few hundred rounds that is what I will do and I am sure it will work flawlessly.

·
Super Moderator
21,876 Posts
Ruffwood:

Other than the malfunctions apparently caused by nasty ammo how did the pistol perform? Was it accurate? Did it have any issues prior to the 300 round problems? CCI must have used a dirty powder. The only real problems I've ever had in 45 acp is with loads using 700-X as it burns dirty and will jam up my 1911 after several mags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No other problems, accuracy was good but I learned my rapid firing accuracy needs work. I used my backup 345 :)for the rest of the day and that one worked fine with about 150 rounds through it and no cleaning.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your problem is the CCI ammo ! They use a different kind of powder than the other major players. If memory serves me right, CCI uses a "slow burn" type powder, where as the others like Federal, Wolf, Remington, Corbon, and many others use two types of powder a "fast burn" and a "ultra fast burn" type of powder. The "slow burn" powder CCI uses cases excess fouling residue, do to unburnt powder contaminating the actions on the fire arms its used on. The problem is that the lack of complete consumption of the powder leads to raw powder and carbon being mixed together and forming deposits. This make for an unusually dirty fire arm even in a system with the best efficiency. I have fired my P345 in the realm of 400 to 500 rounds in a trip and never had a FTC. I was however, using Wolf and Federal ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my first range trip with my newly purchased P345 I shot up 250 RNL and LSWC reloads with out a hitch. The next time out I fired 150 RNL
reloads through it, again without any issues. All of the ammunition fired was loaded using Bullseye powder which will just totally gum up a pistols innards like nobody's business.

The gun fed smoothly all the way through the sessions, no hesitation or clunkiness at all. I'm fine with the factory recoil spring on mine.

One thing to point out about the CCI ammo, I checked some with my dial caliper awhile back and although the measurements escape me right now, it was longer than both WWB and Remington UMC. Maybe your gun just doesn't like ammo with a longer OAL combined with a lot of powder residue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts