Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up my SR9 today and got to shoot it on their range. I need practice, lots and lots of practice! This is my first handgun and I pretty much embarrassed myself today.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Don't worry, the same thing happened to me the first time I shot a handgun. And the second time... And the third time...

Eventually, I started to figure it out. I'm pretty sure that now if I were to stand 10 feet from the side of a barn, I could probably hit it most of the time.

Practice will do it..

·
Registered
90 Posts
That just means you will have to spend numerous long hours and consecutive weekends on the range until you get it right. If that doesn't work then you'll need to purchase various other pistols in different caliber a starting with .22lr and spend equal time shooting them. ;)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Practice, practice and more practice.
Maybe some coaching to deterine that your not developing bad habits early.

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
Sight alignment, breathing and smooth trigger control.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agreed!!! Practice ALOT! I just recently was able to hit what I was aiming at most of the time if not a little on the outside. But I STILL need practice. I enjoy PRACTICE!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Don't feel bad. I hadn't shot in 30+ years and started again early this year.
I was embarrassed at how poorly I shot the first time out, but it gets better with practice as you learn (or in my case re-learn) the fundamentals.

There are also some good videos on YouTube and some good books available on handguns.

Hickok45 is good, a lot of us like his videos and he's a great shot:

Shooting Techniques Part 1 [ Stance] - YouTube

Shooting Techniques Part 2 [ Grip ] - YouTube

Shooting Techniques Part 3 [ Trigger Control ] - YouTube

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got considerably better hits when I stood inside the barn. :D Practice time is my biggest downfall, really need to get more time to get out to the range with my firearms, seem to go through the a learning curve each time I go out.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
As these guys have mentioned, work on fundamentals. Sight alignment, sight picture, focus on front sight, trigger squeeze. I had some accuracy problems at first with my SR9. I posted a similar post one time, someone suggested a sand bag or some sort of rest, this helped eliminate alot of movement while learning sight alignment. Dry fire practice helps as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No need for embarrassment, as everyone has stated practice is the key. Concentrate on the basics, get comfortable and in time you will be the guy at the range helping out the newbie. Of course practice is the fun part!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A great dry fire exercise for trigger squeeze (trigger control) is to take a spent round and balance it on the front of the slide and squeeze the trigger without the casing falling off. The ultimate goal is to squeeze the trigger without the sights moving off target. This exercise also helps reveal and eliminate a flinch as well.

1. Make sure you have an empty magazine in the gun while dry firing so striker is not damaged (refer to manual).
2. Make sure all ammunition is in a seperate room while dry firing.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Hickok45 on YouTube...is an excellent instructor and is very knowledgable about guns, period!

Also, see if someone will give you a few basics the next time you are at the range. Grip...Stance (feet placement)...body position...etc. are all factors in developing a consistent and comfortable shooting position. Consistency is key.

Also, if you can find someone who will let you train with a .22lr for a bit...you'll be able to develop a consistent and comfortable shooting position while learning to control the gun. Stepping up to 9mm from there should be fairly easy!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm going to disagree with some of the posts here and say that practice without instruction does not make perfect, it only reinforces bad habits and leaves you frustrated and bored.

Find some classes that will show and reinforce the basics of safety and shooting. IMHO, you'll enjoy the sport much more if you learn how to do it properly and do it safely with others.

What we don't need is another bozo out in the woods, at a quarry, or any other local shooting place, blasting away without knowing what he's doing. The fact that you're starting out on a forum is encouraging and it sounds like you don't want to be "that guy". There is a tremendous amount of enjoyment to be had with firearms, just want to see you starting out on the right foot!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to disagree with some of the posts here and say that practice without instruction does not make perfect, it only reinforces bad habits and leaves you frustrated and bored.

Find some classes that will show and reinforce the basics of safety and shooting. IMHO, you'll enjoy the sport much more if you learn how to do it properly and do it safely with others.

What we don't need is another bozo out in the woods, at a quarry, or any other local shooting place, blasting away without knowing what he's doing. The fact that you're starting out on a forum is encouraging and it sounds like you don't want to be "that guy". There is a tremendous amount of enjoyment to be had with firearms, just want to see you starting out on the right foot!

You are right, I don't want to be "that guy".

I ride motorcycles and I can always tell when someone gets a new bike and starts riding without any kind of training. They stick out like a sore thumb.

They buy all the leathers and start playing "Easy Rider" when in fact they are a danger to themselves as well as everyone else on the road. So yeah, I don't want to be "that guy" with my gun!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts