Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already had the 44Mag Alaskan, but I was set on the 454 Casull in 5 inch as well...holsters are for the 44 but I do have a hip holster on the make with Double Diamond.

The 44 is a lot of fun to shoot, of course can go to 44 special as well. But my favorite cartridge is 45 Colt and I can go full house there with the Toklat and also take a bit more with the 454 Casull when in the backwoods.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Very nice! Hickok45 has a video on the Toklat on his YouTube channel. I have no use whatsoever for a .454 Casull revolver... but watching his video made me want one. :)

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Very nice...congrats! I've seen the Toklat model around a few times...nice revolver!

I have an Alaskan in .454 Casull and it has been my 'camping/hiking' gun for a few years now...and I really like having the .45 Colt option for plinking and a lighter carry load when not in the field! I had never shot .45 Colt prior to acquiring the Alaskan and it has quickly become one of my favorite loads!

I like these .45 Colt +P's from Littlestone's Ammo...good enough for anything east of the Rockies: .45 Colt +P, 240-Grain Hornady XTP-MAG, Box of 20

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very nice...congrats! I've seen the Toklat model around a few times...nice revolver!

I have an Alaskan in .454 Casull and it has been my 'camping/hiking' gun for a few years now...and I really like having the .45 Colt option for plinking and a lighter carry load when not in the field! I had never shot .45 Colt prior to acquiring the Alaskan and it has quickly become one of my favorite loads!

I like these .45 Colt +P's from Littlestone's Ammo...good enough for anything east of the Rockies: .45 Colt +P, 240-Grain Hornady XTP-MAG, Box of 20
I agree, the 45 Colt is my favorite caliber. I purchased my 44 Mag Alaskan for hiking backcountry in rural PA, figuring that with buffalo bore I'm good for any big Blackie or Zombie or Walking Dead that might be around.

The reason I also went with the Toklat is twofold, first, I wanted something that I could hang a scope on and second something with a bit more umph in the event I ever end up hiking Alaska. OK, that probably won't happen, BUT, it does also chamber 45 Colt. So I ask you, THAT, with the fact of a probable 1% chance of hiking Alaska, how could I possible resist.

I'm thinking of getting a UltraDot 30mm scope to kill some threatening paper at 100 yds :)

PS: I just got into reloading so the 45 Colt/casull becomes even more fun

EDIT: BTW, how do you get the Ruger Model Designations in your signature...can't seem to find it...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice! Hickok45 has a video on the Toklat on his YouTube channel. I have no use whatsoever for a .454 Casull revolver... but watching his video made me want one. :)
Guilty!.... Bought one, the 7.5 inch though. Love it! (I still watch that video from time to time.)

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts