Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new SR9 (for those who haven't been following the story, this is my very first semi-auto) came out of the box with the front sight way over to the right. I brought it back in yesterday and I'll mention the gun shop because these guys are awesome. Virginia Arms in Manassas, VA. They fixed the sight (I was afraid to try it myself because I didn't want to scratch the gun). Then I asked for some help in taking it apart. I read the manual, but I thought it was a good opportunity to do it hands-on so I could remember it better. The guy spent some time with me, did it for me and then had me do it. Then he told me the areas to clean, where and how to lubricate, and spots to look for wear. It was just a really productive trip to the gun shop and I thank Jim over there for taking the time.

Anyway, while there I picked up an extra magazine. Then last night I had an appointment to spend an hour with an instructor at the range.

The brand new extra mag I bought earlier was VERY difficult to load. Not just the spring, I was using the little tool. But it was like the back of the rounds would press down but the tips of the bullets wouldn't. My question here is, do you lubricate the magazines? Seems like a light coat of oil on the front inside surface would make this magazine easier to load, but I didn't see anything in the manual about lubricating that and wanted to check first.

On an exciting note, the guy said my shooting skills were 'excellent!' We worked from 16 feet to 21 feet, I think this was about 18 feet but didn't write it down. One magazine, shooting as fast as I could get the sight picture and squeeze the trigger. I have a few things I need to work on: remembering to breathe, using the pad of my trigger finger instead of that first joint, keeping my thumbs together on the side of the gun, not locking my right arm, stuff like that. But all in all it was an extremely productive and fun day with the SR9!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Great shooting! I'm glad you're taking the time to do things right too. So many people don't these days. I've been wanting to take an instruction class, even though I've been shooting for about 20 years, but at $125 it's a little steep. If I find something a little less that I can find the time for I'll do it.

Sounds like you picked a great gun shop to do business with too. Congrats, buddy! :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bountyhunter! This guy charged $40/hour, and spent more than an hour with me. Great communicator, excellent resume. I think he's my guy, I'll work on what he gave me for a while, then take another session with him and just keep working on it.

But this early on, I thought it would be good to identify my bad habits and nip them in the bud while they're still repairable!

That gun shop is out of my way, I drive past two others to get to them. But they also only charge $25 for an FFL (others charge 50), it's just a good business.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sounds like you got a great shop, Eddie. Nice shooting. Proper training is the key...and it seems like you're going about it the right way.....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I think my question got lost in my excessively verbose post. But is it okay or advisable to lubricate the inside of the magazine so both the front and back surfaces move down together as you're loading it?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice Grouping...

and you have how many rounds thru the SR9? 2-300... wait 'til it's broken-in.

Clean your mags as needed, but use vary little oil. Wipe as dry as possible, oil and primers are not the best of friends. New mags are a pain to charge, but the springs should relax somewhat with use.

BTW: Ask you instructor about "isometeric tension" if he has not mentioned it already, but you probably already knew about it...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
eddie, don't own a sr9 but have read a ton about it researching a potential buy for a 9mm. The one thing i remember about the mags is they did make a modification on them. Check your notches in the mags. The mags that have given trouble were the old style "U" shaped cut for the mag release notch. The new style mags to correct the hard loading have a rectangular notch. You may have purchased an old style mag. I think they changed the notch design in dec. This is strictly a guess.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Eddie,
When you load your magazines, push the nose of the round down into the magazine first, then push down on the back side using the tool, slide a new round up to the tool and then lift the tool and push the round home... This works for me quite well..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polishrose, this works perfectly. Thanks. I never thought of it because my other two magazines don't require me to push the nose of the round down first. But this one does. Now that I know, it loads just as quickly as the other two. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts