Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Covid-19 I pretty sure many of us are not as active as before. Which brings me to the subject of weight gain. My problem is I gained about 20 lbs all my cargo pants and jeans are so tight I have a problem with IWB holsters. My clothes are so tight I can't wear IWB without my gun digging into my side. So now instead of my regular carry SR9 it's a Mossberg MC1 with a laser in Clinger pocket holster. Just wondering how many of you guys if any have the same problem?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Weight gain but not from the virus, I just got old and it is harder to do what I use to.
Still trying to keep active and do what I can now days.

·
Righteous Dude
21,612 Posts
Well, I went the opposite way. I lost weight because the gym closed and I started jogging instead of strength training. Weight dropped as did my muscle! The gym is now open so I do a mix of running and lifting as well as intermittent fasting. Keeps me trim, fit, and I'm able to enjoy food when I eat (as in I can eat the tasty stuff and the healthy stuff 😉).

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
I gained a good 15 lbs but got serious about my health about 6 weeks ago. Running/jogging/walking 4 miles every day and lifting 2X week plus watching my diet. Lost 20 lbs and hope to lose some more. More importantly my health is better now - best it’s been in a long time in fact.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ten years ago I Reached a weight of 205 lbs. I am 5’10 inches tall, and that weight was just uncomfortable for me as well as approaching relegating My clothes to Goodwill. I decided to lose weight. It took me 3 years to get to 165, and I have maintained that weight ever since. I have not gained a pound over The past 6 months. I just followed my rules. Do not eat worthless calories. Eat sloWayne and stop soon as you begin to feel full. Take small portions so you do not waste food by leaving it on the plate when you begin to feel full. Cut out high carb food. And most of all increase your metabolism by exercising. I walked 3 miles every morning before the virus struck. To compensate for decrease mobility I have moved that up to 5 miles, split between morning and evening. It works,.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I got lucky, I put on 5lb and I’m over 60.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest with COVID 19 being a hot spot where I live I am a bit afraid to leave the house having stage 4 colon cancer. So losing weight is hard for me. My Dr. says gaining weight with my condition at 71 is a pretty good sign. So it's "Body BY Beacon" for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I gained at least 15 lbs in the last 6 months. Started South Beach diet this week and am starting to feel better already.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A 1911 is about the slimmest pistol that I can think of.
If I were to try to give you any health or weight loss advice I'd probably get struck by lightning.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,315 Posts
I gained a few pounds but pants still fit. I did buy a new belt

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,756 Posts
I Carry OWB, or in a pocket, but I have the opposite problem. With weight loss I have gotten more active, on the farm. Down 45 pounds to 180 now, from 1/2019 anyhow, as a blood sugar scare either gets you right or kills you. I chose the former: no carbs at all for a few weeks, then carefully adding them again. It worked, but I am OCD and Type-A. I do not miss sweets or beer, as long as there are whisky, cigars, and coffee on this planet.

My Gun-belts are outta holes, and it Is not possible to nicely drill more into a steel core gun belt. It is a good problem to have.

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
Yes I do and did...............pocket carry a couple smaller pistols saved me lots of angst.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,884 Posts
I think my weight is more a function of time of year. In the summer I’m on my feet and working all the time. I can’t stand to be sedentary while the sun’s up. Pandemic or not I’m working on the yard, garden, house, garage, washing cars, etc.

Then late November comes and it feels like time to rest on my laurels. The garden is dormant and the Missus has all the vegetables put up. The lawn has gotten its fall fertilizer and the mowers are put away. If the vehicles get dirty I’ll run them through an automated car wash. I’ve battened down the hatches for winter. It’s time to spend the long evenings reading or watching something and having a glass of whiskey. We’ll have a couple feasts at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My wife will be baking a lot.

I probably put on a couple pounds just thinking about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts