Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going coyote hunting with some buddies and we use shotguns and I was wondering what the best choke tube/shot combo was? I have an 870. I have a turkey choke and a mod choke that came with the gun. Would the turkey choke work with the right ammo? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I've had good luck with #4 buckshot, but buckshot can be funny as far as the way it patterns. In some guns, I've gotten better patterns with a little more open choke. Only way to be sure is try both barrels and see what patterns best.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe use the modified choke tube instead of the turkey choke? I just thought the turkey choke since it would put a little tighter pattern than my modified, but that's what this forum is for.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have an 870 also ~ what a great shotgun!

To the point, you need to pattern them and see. Choose whatever load you are going to use (#4 buckshot is popular for yotes) and go to the range and see.

Even though the turkey choke would seem to be the tighter choke, it MIGHT also deform the pellets enough to open the pattern up.

It should be obvious with one shot with each choke.

Good luck and have fun on your hunt!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Pattern them and see. You could get a better pattern with any of the above, you've got to test it though. #4 buck is a favorite among Coyote hunters, so I'd give that a go.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Carlson makes a "coyote choke" that is supposed to pattern buckshot pretty tight without deforming it. I got one for my benelli, haven't patterned it yet.
Got mine from Midsouth.

here it is for an 870:
Remington Choke Tubes - ChokeTube.com - Carlson's Choke Tubes, LLC
about 3/4's of the way down.

Says its good for out to 70 yards. Don't know if its the real deal, or hype.
Maybe someone who has experience with it will chime in.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
No. 4 buck down to No. 2 birdshot is what i like for coyotes in my 870, i have good luck with the Undertaker turkey choke in mine for deer and yotes, deer have to be with oo buck but i prefer a denser pattern so i switch for coyotes. The pattern board is the only place to really know, the same two guns with the same two chokes side by side will likely pattern totally different with a given load, it is up to you to find the load that patterns best in your gun then stick to it. Good luck on the coyotes, they are worth $40 here whole so we have been hunting them hard and trapping as well.

·
DA-Neatest-and-most unIEK
396 Posts
Are coyotes good eating? I was always taught "you shoot it, you eat it". Then I see people hunting all kinds of varmint, prairie dogs, squirrel, etc. Do you really eat what you shoot?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are coyotes good eating? I was always taught "you shoot it, you eat it". Then I see people hunting all kinds of varmint, prairie dogs, squirrel, etc. Do you really eat what you shoot?
uh.. no... Don't try it... lol

Varmints are called varmints for that reason. They are not really something that you want to eat. Some have worms, and parasites that you don't want in your system. When I was a kid, we used to get .10 cents a tail for gophers, but you had to make sure you didn't get flees and ticks just getting the tail.

Squirrels are eatable, but only in the right parts of the county, like the South where they are big enough to skin and cook. Yoties are not something you want to eat. But the hide is worth something, and the carcass can be used too. We have places that will take both, and we sell the hide, and give the carcass away. Sometimes, we can get up to $40 or $50 for a hide that hasn't been punched through by 20 bullets. They grind the body up for things you don't want to know about.. :) Like pet food, glue, etc.

It is ethical to eat what you shoot. It has been handed down for generations. But that is why Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, etc call varmints varmints. They are a pest to modern man, but UN-edible.

IF you have second thoughts about dropping one, then don't. I grew up differently, and a Yotie is a target plain and simple. If you call around, you will find some one that can use what you kill. Then, it is up to you. :) But it is ultimately up to your conscience.

Killing a hundred gophers a day might not set well with PETA. Especially if you live in PDX. (I used to live in Medford. I feel for you living that far north) But where I am from, you don't want 10.000 gophers or badgers in the fields where I live. They not only are a pest to the fields, but the livestock, cows and horses that are worth your living need NOT step in the holes and break legs and ankles. (hocks).

·
DA-Neatest-and-most unIEK
396 Posts
I didn't really think so, but thought I'd ask. Thought about hunting some of them thar varmints but the "eat what you shoot" thing bothered me. I'm gonna have to reconsider, sounds like fun. Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I shoot stuff that I want to eat (deer, rabbit, quail, turkeys) and stuff that wants to eat what I want to eat (coyotes, bobcats, crows).
I'll shoot a squirrel if I know someone that will eat it. I already ate one once.
Coons and possums get a free pass.
No PDs in Bama.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shoot stuff that I want to eat (deer, rabbit, quail, turkeys) and stuff that wants to eat what I want to eat (coyotes, bobcats, crows).
I'll shoot a squirrel if I know someone that will eat it. I already ate one once.
Coons and possums get a free pass.
No PDs in Bama.
I second that! except not much gets a free pass because I have friends that trap and they sell the hides so I will give them the hides to add to their collection to sell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am think the concesis here is th,same. If you can use or give the carcase to someone that can be use it drop em.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I know Carlson has a coyote choke that suppose to hold a tight pattern at 50 yards. Might be an idea
At least they'd like to have you believe that... What happens in the field is a very different thing than what happens in hunting magazines...

The Carlson's "Dead Coyote" choke has gone through a few revisions over the years. Wad stripping, not wad stripping, .680, .660, ported, not ported... They've even been in and out of bed with Hevi-Shot so it dropped the "Dead" at one point...

Federal #4 buckshot out of pretty much any 0.680" choke is a potent coyote killer. 40-50yrds is possible, but high risk at best. Scatterguns ain't made for long range work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought one of those Dead Coyote chokes from Carlson a few years ago. I am using a Mossberg 835. It patterned really well with 3.5" no4 buckshot as well as T shot. The no4 buck was the cheapest so I stuck with it. I set up a cardboard box and drew a somewhat life size coyote and shot it at various distances. I think 50yds was about max distance I would feel comfortable at.

My buddy has a 11-87 that doesn't pattern well with a full or extra full choke. He actually does better with the modified choke.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not meaning to hack the thread, but if you are a hunter and do not control the population of coyotes when given the chance in your hunting area, they WILL CONTROL YOUR HUNTED/WANTED GAME FOR YOU. They can desolate a prime hunting area, and keep your wanted game on HIGH ALERT year round. I know, I've seen it in my area.

Some areas can withstand the pressure from yotes and some cannot. Each situation is different. Personally, given the chance, I take EVERY yote I can. I'll go out of my way to do so if it looks successful.

Each his/her own, just don't say you were not warned. :)

DR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts