Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michigan like several states has a requirement to inform law enforcement your armed. I always do and don't have issue with it. If I'm pulled over I hand them my I'd and CPL, if they as what I'm carrying I say I have a 45 just to keep it simple. A year or so back I was pulled over and I informed that I was carrying and was ready to say I have a 45 but was thrown a curve when the trooper asked if I had the green inspection card from my permit to purchase. In Mi a CPL holder fills out his own and sends it into the sheriffs office, or we did, the law changed and only the state police get a copy from the seller. Also the little green inspection cards are not required as safety inspections were eliminated. So when the trooper asked for my card I looked at him funny, he smiled and said that that was OK he knew it wasn't required anymore but it was easier if I did have one because he could just get the serial number off it instead of taking my firearm back to his cruiser. He then said the new policy was to either use the card or do a on spot safety inspection running it through the computer. Now is this just a faux registration scheme? Not like there is much choice, I handed him my 45, it was in a pocket holster and he said not t clear it just took it back an ran it. Brought it back gave me a warning on my speed and said I could still get a green card at the sheriffs office, so legislature eliminates the old faux gun registration/safety inspections only to have troopers take it up on their own. The trooper never asked how many guns were in the car and the other 45, my 1911 was in the center console, he didn't ask and I didn't think to mention it or the 38 bug I had as a backup. Not paranoid just always have a glove box gun and a EDC with a bug depending on where in Mi. I am. Law only says I have to inform and I didn't lie:rolleyes: anyway, is this a case of Mi State Police doing safety inspections or are they doing their own registration deal and are they doing this in your state? Or should I put away my tin foil hat and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sounds like he was a real ass, all he needed to do was check your CPL, and there really was no reason to do that unless he saw something out of the ordinary, he already knew that you had already passed an extensive background check. I have never been stopped, but i did inform a State Trooper that i was carrying when he responded to my call after i hit a deer, and he didn't seem to care.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Missouri doesn't care what weapon you have, no body knows.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nothing to do with the thread, but I recently visited your state for a family reunion. Beautiful country up there! In my area of Texas, we aren't used to seeing water very often. Was in the Ishpeming and Marquette areas. Gots me an official yooper hoodie.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Nevada used to require whatever weapon you were going to carry had to be listed on your permit. We have gotten past that and the state no longer tells you whether your permitted to carry an automatic or a wheel gun.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was nice about it, but was the first time I heard it. We have had plenty of changes to our CPL laws in the last 4 years. Could have been a short lived policy too. Sometimes troopers have an agenda and make stuff up and give you a verbal warning to cover the stop.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The "green card" in Mich has not been used, or avaliable for about 2 or may be 3 years now. You could not get one if you wanted to.
It was nothing more that a Handgun registration card. (The state called it an inspection certificate.)
The state now uses a form number RI-060 for registration. You need to have this with you anytime you have the gun with you for the 1st 30 days of ownership. After that amount of time you are NO LONGER REQUIRED to carry this form. The State Police copy has had enough time to reach the records division.
The "PURPOSE" of this is so law enforcement can determine that the gun is not stolen.
This is all BS as far as I am concerned, but the "Green" card was used way back in the 1920's
I have one from a pistol the my Grandfather registered in 1927

·
Super Moderator
21,066 Posts
NH does not have a requirement to inform and permits are issued locally so there is no tie in to your DL. Our permit is to carry and is not specific to a firearm. You can carry whatever you can conceal. I am not a threat nor would I make wise with an LEO. My firearm is concealed and stays that way.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
In AR, if ya take the ccw class with a revolver you can only carry one, with a semi auto you can carry either. Also, there is no registering here. Amazes me how many friends ask me about getting a firearm registered here. Some just dont get it! No registration in Arkansas!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
In AR, if ya take the ccw class with a revolver you can only carry one, with a semi auto you can carry either. Also, there is no registering here. Amazes me how many friends ask me about getting a firearm registered here. Some just dont get it! No registration in Arkansas!!!

Only one of the great things about our state!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Georgia WCL [Weapons Carry License] permits you to carry concealed or open [if you are crazy enough to do so here]. It is not weapon specific.

It permits handguns, but also tasers, large knives, and pepper spray.

There is no requirement to inform, but I would anyway in most cases.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
tom47 said:
There is no requirement to inform, but I would anyway in most cases.
It varies by state and sometimes by county within the state.
In the county I live in, any records check informs the officer of your permit.

·
Registered
479 Posts
But in Arkansas if you go visiting at someone else's home you have to get their permission to carry in their home. That can get awkward.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts