Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this Rossi 38 special for 23 years bought new. Well taken care of & has always been stored in padded zip case. I went to clean & oil it recently & noticed a crack on the right side of hammer on the outer frame. Pulled hammer back & crack is wider inner side with possible metal loss or separation.
Is this piece safe to shoot or is it dust?
Not sure how this happened? I'm the only person to have ever touch this piece & it has never been dropped etc
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,335 Posts
It's not a frame crack ..... it's a removable side plate, much like a S&W revolver. As I recall, there is a screw under the right grip panel that holds the side plate in place.

Reactions: gwpercle and 755

·
Cat Herder
1,644 Posts
To piggyback on Iowegan- if you look closely at your first picture you can see the bottom seam of your side plate above your thumb and the front seam to the right of the screw above the trigger guard, it is how to access the internal mechanisms. Rugers don't use side plates, S&W, Taurus, Rossi all do, not sure of other brands.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You're not the first one to make that mistake. I also am a member of a S&W forum. A while back a guy sent in some pics of the "crack" in his new Smith. He took it to a so called gunsmith who said that he has seen that same crack on a lot of S&W's and wouldn't buy a Smith for anything because of the frame problems. That guy was livid until it was explained to him. I don't know how long his guy had been smithing but I sure wouldn't want him working on any of my guns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not the first one to make that mistake. I also am a member of a S&W forum. A while back a guy sent in some pics of the "crack" in his new Smith. He took it to a so called gunsmith who said that he has seen that same crack on a lot of S&W's and wouldn't buy a Smith for anything because of the frame problems. That guy was livid until it was explained to him. I don't know how long his guy had been smithing but I sure wouldn't want him working on any of my guns.
Yeah I called my brother inlaw about it that is wasn't a crack & ironically he has the exact same gun in his collection & also never noticed that lol. We both felt a bit foolish lol. Live & learn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts