Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Winchester 94E in 45 colt. I would like to install a crescent shaped butt plate on it. Any suggestions?
Thanks to all who reply

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
Yeah, don't. I have several rifles with crescent butt plates and a few more with straight style butt plates. All of them are lever guns or highwalls, etc. The crescent butt stocks look good but they aren't as comfortable or shootable as a straight style. Almost everyone I know that has one ends up covering it with some sort of leather to make it more shootable. The smooth metal (usually brass) constantly slides off your shoulder and if you're shooting big loads (45-70) that metal will beat you up after a while. If your intention is to cover it with a leather wrap then have at it. They look pretty cool and shoot much better with the leather wrap. Unfortunately I don't know where specifically to send you to find the parts but I suspect one of the well known CASS gunsmiths can probably get the parts or do the work for you.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Just a suggestion, without checking beforehand: I remember Track of the Wolf as a supplier of early-American flintlocks, etc., including buttplates, etc. Perhaps they have something close enough to fit. Only thing I ever bought from them were percussion nipples, which are perfect.

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
Just a suggestion, without checking beforehand: I remember Track of the Wolf as a supplier of early-American flintlocks, etc., including buttplates, etc. Perhaps they have something close enough to fit. Only thing I ever bought from them were percussion nipples, which are perfect.
Great idea. If anybody has that kind of stuff it would be them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
An alternative would be a replacement stock with a crescent buttplate - Numrich has these:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1948630A
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1885680A

(These are for the Model 94 Angle Eject versions - I'm not sure of the fit to a 94E model, though - Numrich's search engine is kinda quirky.)

I'd expect it would take considerably less work than modifying a straight buttplate stock to take a crescent buttplate; there's a possibility would be more economical as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts