Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
4,290 Posts
It was an interesting read but, in my opinion, not of much value. I thought this response, in the "Comments" section, submitted by Mike Lilly articulates well my concerns about the piece. (Edited for brevity.)

"As a retired police officer of 32 years from a large southern police department I am rather agast at the conclusions you have reached, from what appears in this article, to be an insubstantial data set.

Firstly, you provide no timeframe regarding the intake of these firearms. Did these LAST eighty-five firearms come in over a period of a week or five years? Secondly, what crimes were the persons arrested for who had possesion of these guns? Armed robbery, DWI, traffic violations?

Yes, it makes a difference. Where were the firearms found? Just saying someone was a “criminal” and they had a firearm on them or in their vicinity does not mean It played any part nor that they had any intention to, or actually did, use the firearm in the commission of a crime.

And if there was no use or intention to use said firearm in any “crime”, then any assumptions or references made regarding the status’ of those particuliar weapons are invalid on their face and have no place in the dataset.

My professional background has put me in a position to always evaluate information provided to me using the Two Prong Approach – which requires me to pay as much attention to both what people say AND what they do NOT say.

The imformation NOT provided in this article leads me to the opinion that your conclusions are not well founded due to lacking important and relevant information.

CITIZENS: For practical application: ALL GUNS ARE LOADED, ALL AMMUNITION WILL KILL YOU, and YOUR ATTACKER IS CAPABLE OF KILLING YOU AND WILL TRY.

Formulate your response with those “facts” in your mind. The condition of your attacker’s weapon or ammunition or capability is not something for you to consider either in your training or, especially, when the “steel leaves the leather” in the fight for your life. All it will do is enlarge your OODA Loop and slow you down!"

· Banned
4,290 Posts
The comment by Mike Lily doesn't invalidate the article. The author said clearly the results would be different in other locales. I have no problem with the data as presented. If someone has a different data set, do your own analysis but don't trash someone else's study for no reason. The point of the article was to help educate us on our criminal enemies, and it did that well.
Hey John, I didn't trash the article. I said I found it an interesting read but, for me, not much value in learning anything.

If, for you, it "helped educate you on your criminal enemies", that's wonderful.

Perhaps, since I don't use words like "invalidate" and "data set" in conversation very often, the article was simply too complex for me to glean any meaningful value from it. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.