Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crimp .223 Ruger #1 V

Those of you shooting the Ruger #1 V are you crimping or following the theory of bolt actions where no crimp is needed?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Seems to me that the only reason for crimping with a single-shot would be if you were concerned about getting consistent ignition with a certain primer/powder combo.

I don't have a #1-V in .223, but I DO have a .223 single-shot (T/C Contender carbine). No crimp.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Seems to me that the only reason for crimping with a single-shot would be if you were concerned about getting consistent ignition with a certain primer/powder combo.

I don't have a #1-V in .223, but I DO have a .223 single-shot (T/C Contender carbine). No crimp.
I do not crimp for my Ruger No. 1-V in 222 Rem. but then I see no reason to crimp for any of my handloads regardless of cartridge. I see no reason to do so. There is no problem needing crimping to solve. Oh and by the way, my 1V shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards all day long. Recently it gave me my first ever 1/3" 100 yard group with a hunting rifle.

Use either CCI 400 or Remington 7 1/2 primers with decent brass and either H-322 or Winchester 748 powder and you will not need to fear failure to fire.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Crimp .223 Ruger #1 V

Those of you shooting the Ruger #1 V are you crimping or following the theory of bolt actions where no crimp is needed?
Jimreed1948, Welcome from Missouri!

You may get more responses posting your reloading questions in the Reloading forum.
We have many experienced reloaders that enjoy sharing opinions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
AS has been said, why crimp?

Have shot #1s for years including a .223 and NEVER crimped a round until my present #1 - 45/70 in which I shoot cast bullets, and only then in the interest of Possibly better ignition.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
738 Posts
Crimping any rifle round has never contributed to accuracy in my experience. In my AR-15, used in CMP Nat'l Match competition, I do not crimp any bullet. That rifle will shoot MOA groups with most any quality bullet, and I do not suffer 'set-back' due to the lack of a crimp. In a bolt action, or single shot, there is even less reason to mutilate the bullet with a crimp. Rod

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I reload for a single shot Rossi Wizard that I really enjoy & I use a mild crimp with good results. I guess I have been doing a unneeded step.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts