Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I go by volume #10 hornady loading manual with a trim length of 1.275" for the cases, the case doesn't seem to go very far up into the cannulure to get much of a good crimp bite at 1.600" COL, as recommended by the loading manual. Is this a common thing and does it still get a good enough crimp using 23 gr. of h110 powder and CCI 350 magnum primers? Thanks for all advice! :thumbsup: I'm using the LEE FC DIE 44 mag.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I noticed the same thing when using Hornady measurement and the 357 with a xtp. Seems to only go up to the lower half of the grove while other manuals will seat theirs to the middle or upper half. Doesn't seem to cause any issues. You can't really "bite" into the hard jacket of the XTP, if you try you will likely buckle the case somewhere, a shorter after crimp COL will tell you if that is maybe starting. Firm case mouth touching into the cannulure is all you need. JMO and I have been on a steep learning curve over this very thing. I set the crimp with trial runs, until it starts reducing COL, then I back it off a smidgen and remeasure another dummy round, if it is not reducing the COL, I call that a good firm crimp.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My two cents. I would not worry too much about a couple thousandths here and there with a magnum (pistol/revolver) cartridge. If you don’t trim down to 1.275 that gives you a little more case length to work with. I’ve never had a problem staying within recommendations in any manual. I load a lot of Hornady bullets. In 44mag and 357 mag I seat to the middle or a tad higher in the cannelure and crimp. Some of my cases (I try to keep certain lengths together) are close to 1.275 and others are at or just above 1.280. I’m more comfortable knowing I’m getting a good crimp than reaching COL as long as it does not exceed the maximum COL. Make sense?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My two cents. I would not worry too much about a couple thousandths here and there with a magnum (pistol/revolver) cartridge. If you don’t trim down to 1.275 that gives you a little more case length to work with. I’ve never had a problem staying within recommendations in any manual. I load a lot of Hornady bullets. In 44mag and 357 mag I seat to the middle or a tad higher in the cannelure and crimp. Some of my cases (I try to keep certain lengths together) are close to 1.275 and others are at or just above 1.280. I’m more comfortable knowing I’m getting a good crimp than reaching COL as long as it does not exceed the maximum COL. Make sense?
If you are playing around with book max charges, wouldn't that change the pressure by seating deeper? Maybe not so much as to make it dangerous but could definitely open up the ES of the loads. Guess it depends on the powder you are using too.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you are playing around with book max charges, wouldn't that change the pressure by seating deeper? Maybe not so much as to make it dangerous but could definitely open up the ES of the loads. Guess it depends on the powder you are using too.
You make a good point about seating depth and pressure. I’m using Win 296 for both 44 mag and 357. I have found accurate loads below max level so I’ve not worried about increase in pressure. I’m sure there are calibers that are pressure sensitive with minor changes in seating depth. I’m not sure this is a critical issue under the circumstances I laid out in the previous post. Perhaps Iowegan can share some knowledge here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
For H110 to be most effective, you need a good heavy crimp. OAL in revolvers, for the most part, is a moot point. OAL is determined by the center of the cannelure and the length of your brass. Iff you are using once fired "leverevolution" brass, you'll find yourself missing the cannelure if you try to go to published OAL.

Just crimp to the cannelure and be done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts