Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have discovered over the last several years that I much prefer a smallish fixed blade for my EDC. One of the main reasons is that I am a lot less likely to lose it because I have to return it to the sheath and will notice an empty sheath a lot
Sooner than a knife missing from a pocket.

I still try to keep my EDC knives within a reasonable price range. I have carried a CRKT STIFF KISS tanto blade a lot, and this past year I have been carrying a Bear & Son skinner that was a Christmas gift. Both of these are fairly inexpensive knives so I don't worry TOO MUCH about using or losing.

When I am out in the woods I carry a TOPS B.O.B. But that always felt like overkill when I am on a fishing trip or what have you.

The bear and son knife has a very small blade that left a little to be desired. It will still remain in my rotation but I just picked up this CRKT Hunt'n Fisch designed by Larry Fischer Who sadly passed away from cancer before the knife was released. As a result CRKT is donating all net proceeds from the knife to a pancreatic cancer foundation.

Anyway it's a smaller bird and trout type knife that should be perfect for what I need on a daily basis. I really like that it carries horizontally on my belt and is a little bit larger than what I used to have. The fit and finish is great for a knife in this price range. I really like the Micarta and the studs. The sheath seems to be of decent quality as well. Initially the belt loop was kind of crunchy but I have a feeling it's just whatever finish they used on it. It's softened up a bit after a few days of carry.

I haven't used it too too much yet but so far I am really liking it. I think they sell for about $80 at cabelas but I got mine for about $55. Definitely worth it!

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, but it does hang on your belt with the blade pointed slightly down, so gravity is somewhat on its side though it is most certainly still more likely to fall out than something varried vertically.

Its good and tight right now, with room to give it an extra nudge in still.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have owned 3 crt folders and all a good value.

Myself as well. I had a few of the M16. Some of the smaller ones and right now i carry the desert big dog when I carry a folder.

I absolutely beat on my EDC folders and these have been fantastic. I lost them before I wore them out. I have carried the desert big dog for several years and I use it to pry open valve boxes, strip and cut wires, all kinds of stuff. It's a great value at $35. I have thrown it in the ocean taken it apart washed off the rust and put it back together.

I had one of the titanium scales versions and lost it. I intend to purchase another one with titanium scales again.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Dr. Marneaus great choice of a knife. I bought a Hunt N' Fisch back in August after handling one at Cabelas too, and have been taking with me on local fishing trips. I've never really been that impressed with CRKT knives but this one is a winner in every way.

The thing that sold me on the knife was the jimping pattern which goes up 2/3 of the back of the blade and also underneath. It feels great on your thumb and gives for excellent control. I replaced the smaller lanyard with one that I can put my wrist through. And by the way the handle is G10, not micarta. Much better quality.

Nice video review here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJbZUZrpQY

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I just received this little beauty today.
For some reason I just had to have one. They were out of stock at the time so I requested notification when they came in. Ordered from Midway last Friday and got it this afternoon.
Now I am not a big knife guy and haven't had a fixed blade since I was a Boy Scout about 100 years ago.

This is a really nice knife, not too big and feels great in hand.
Still don't know why I had to have it but am very pleased with it.

If anyone is interested here is the Midway link. And shipping is free! CRKT Hunt'N Fisch Fixed Blade Hunting Knife 2.99 Drop Point 8Cr13MoV

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just received this little beauty today.
For some reason I just had to have one. They were out of stock at the time so I requested notification when they came in. Ordered from Midway last Friday and got it this afternoon.
Now I am not a big knife guy and haven't had a fixed blade since I was a Boy Scout about 100 years ago.

This is a really nice knife, not too big and feels great in hand.
Still don't know why I had to have it but am very pleased with it.

If anyone is interested here is the Midway link. And shipping is free! CRKT Hunt'N Fisch Fixed Blade Hunting Knife 2.99 Drop Point 8Cr13MoV
Glad you like it!

I have found that I much prefer to carry a small fixed blade to a folder. I dont know why, I think I've mentioned before that i feel like I;m less likely to lose it.

Also, this one is the perfect size for EDC, small but still useful blade size, great grip size. I also REALLY like that it is a horizontal (well, mostly) carry. It stays out of the way all the time if you wear it in front of your front pocket, so the back of the grip is almost to your belt buckle.

It seems like a fantastic knife for the price.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,243 Posts
Got my Hunt'n Fisch today

I'm reviving this thread to say I got my Hunt'n Fisch today. :D

It's been on my short list since the thread first started. What a great knife! The cruddy smartphone pics don't do it justice but show you exactly how small the knife is compared to a 12-gauge shell or the ubiquitous Kershaw Leek.

Fit and finish are outstanding. As good as some Benchmades and Sölingen-made Böker's I own.

I'm pleased with the horizontal carry sheath. The knife fits in very tightly and there's no chance of it falling out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Congratulations FeralCat. I've had mine 2 yrs now and still feel the same way. One of the most comfortable and natural holding knives I own. The sheath is awesome. After two years, months of constant wear, and resharpened a few times, mine still looks almost new.

·
One Star
10,381 Posts
That's a great looking fixed blade knife,and a nice looking scabband.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,243 Posts
Congratulations FeralCat.
Congrats on spending my money? :D ;) Thanks! :) The beauty of it is, it seems like exceptional value. Hey, I like expensive things too when they are good value in their own right. And sometimes you do have to pay out the nose for quality.

This knife falls in a product niche that I love: good enough to stand up to a lot of use, and cheap enough to use a lot without worrying about it. I did look at some Boeker Arbolitos in the same price range or a bit more, but they seemed to have much cheaper, softer steel than the CRKT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts