Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once this warmer weather phase passes through (usually does not last long in the northwest) I intend to carry a larger revolver OWB and concealed by a sport coat or jacket. Normally, I have always used a strong side holster combination if I was not pocket carrying. I saw an El Passo holster recently that also allows cross drawing: http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-74-9-double-agent-dual-position-holster.aspx Now, I think this looks interesting...I could use it while driving in a car...but then, I thought it might just work with the sport jacket. Cross draw seems kind of...natural with a coat covering. It seems so much easier to "uncover" or draw back the jacket with the weak hand as the strong hand seeks the pistol grip...yeah, very natural. Does this seem like a viable option or is this wasted motion vs. comfort in a real time situation? Does anybody else use a large revolver from a cross draw configuration? Cross draw shoulder holster configuration? Would love feedback...pro and con.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm southpaw and used to carry a Bulldog .44 in a Roy Baker Pancake at 2 o'clock...could get it with either hand...don't know what happened to that co. ....that was in winter and I'd leave the last 4" of my coat zipped up...covered ok but you really had to be aware...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
the cross draw holster is slower, beleive it or not it is. Your hand has to cover almost twice the distnace. And of course if your going to use the cross draw you will telegraff your entenions faster to the bag guys. If they are gun savey, with this being said I for one am in favor of the large bigger cailber. My reasonsa re simple it will most likely only take one shot to put the bag guy down. The smaller the cailber the better shot ya have to be, on paper. So so so shot with a large cailber will do more damage to the bad guys.
Also looking down the barrel of a 44 or a 45, and your holding a 38 357mag of 9MM, sure wouldn't be idea if having the upper hand.
Now here are some things that you can do to help you get your time of draw and fire faster than it will be at the start. Will need some snap caps two sets. Ya want to practice sitting down draw fire all 6 and reload. Try to practice like you were in a car at a resturant, once ya have the strong hand down to were ya feel cofortable with it them start with the weak hand. Ya need to be good with either hand.
The reason is in the real world your not always going to know what is going down at the time all the time. Ya have to be ready to use either hand either eye and you have to be able to shoot well not great but well.
If the bad guys are coming in and holding the place up most likely they are going to have the drop on you try and remain calm as poissble. Watch for your chance its a small window so keep your wits about you pal.
The reason ya need to be able to use either hand either eye is that either bag guys are going to be so high that they start shooting the place up, and there is always glass and most likely your going to get hit and maybe you eye or hand. By practicing with either hand or eye your on top of your game.
And ofcourse ya have to account that someone in the place will do something the bad guys don't like and they may start shooting the place up.
Noew if ya hav read this far ya are almost done. This part is easy for some bad for others, here it is if your going to shoot the bad guys YOU SHOOT TO PUT THEM DOWN. I mean down where they don't get up, never ever leave one wounded they can and will kill you or your loved on just as fast if not faster. Once they came into your world with their guns, the talking part is over and they gave up their right to life.
The suede lining will slow down the draw and make the belt and holster try to come with the gun. The lining ya want is smooth glove leather or none at all.
I have a custom made rig for a Ruger Vaquero and if it wasn't for the tie down the whole dang rig rides up my hip. Its suppose to be a gun fighter rig, well he was a saddle maker and a darn good one, for saddles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snuffy: all good points to be sure, although I doubt my major concern would be in telegraphing my moves or getting behind in a drawdown. I was just considering a more advantageous way of carrying a large revolver with a sport coat. You and Sheepdog have made me reconsider this mode of carry however. I wish to keep my jacket open and I'm not sure that I could keep the weapon concealed (I'd hate to get a brandishing offense) while moving with the jacket while it was in a 11 o'clock position. 9 o'clock would be right on my hip and the weapon would probably print. 8 o'clock would be ok...especially sine the holster has a FBI cant...but then, my arms are an inch shorter than the average guy (31 in) and I'd have to either become Gumby or pull a muscle while practicing. Hmmm, may have to rethink this. I wonder if a shoulder holster would be a better option...or is that old fashion?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Fashion is the last consideration...it's how do you dress...what hides the gun the best...what's the fastest way to present it...can you reach it with either hand...for me, with jeans and t-shirt out(or slacks and polo shirt out) the best way is IWB on the belt buckle or left of buckle(I'm lefty) and I raise the clip up on the holster appx. 1"-that puts the butt of .38, .357, or .45 almost even with the belt...I hook it with my thumb and start it out...have a firing grip by the time the barrel clears-awkward but possible with right hand, and totally concealable...noone's ever spotted me. Deeper cover would be the Smart Carry or Thunderwear...totally in the pants...hot...slower...but it'd allow tucked in shirttail...lots to think about, but once you find what's right for you and your dress style and wear it awhile, it's not a problem...you could adapt to carrying a big wad of money everyday...the discomfort would be worth it...same here...it's a tradeoff...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
sheepdog ya hit the nail on the head can't add to that pal. Were glad to help any way we can dawgfvr.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have one of those "smart carry" pouches...never actually used it...but tried it inside the house to check fit...ordered t for my PT145. I didn't particularly like it...but imagine it would be fine if I had to do the "deep cover" thing. I usually pocket carry a 642 and P3AT...mostly cuz it is just convenient, weapon is quickly accessible, draws fast, etc. Still, if I ever had to actually draw a weapon...methinks that I'd rather have a larger caliber than .380 or 38 Special...not saying that those wouldn't do the job...still....

IWB...hmmm, I might try it, but not sure I want to purchase pants one size larger than I normally wear...so, guess my larger revolver comes down to OWB or shoulder holster carry. I might still get the El Passo holster as it switches from "strong" carry to "cross draw" and looks like pretty good leather.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
they have been in business a long time have seen one of their holster the leather workam ship were out standing.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm a .44 and .45 kinda guy, but you give me a steel-frame 5-shot snub and you'd better have something to get behind...never feel undergunned with one...just carry a potent load and practice, practice, practice...I gotta 14-year-old that can embarrass me with my M649 Bodyguard...the boy's good...I used to laugh at those lazy detectives and ID techs who'd carry a 5-shot Chief...now I know better...
If you're going to wear a jacket or coat, I'd carry a tiny bit behind center hip on strong side in a strong forward cant IWB or belt holster-the cant keeps the grips tight and from poking the back of your jacket out...then carry a bullet thangy or speedloader in your strong side coat pocket and jacket unzipped...if you go for it, kick your hip over-the jacket will hang there long enough for you to get a firing grip and draw...you'd benefit from getting a copy of the late Bill Jordan's book-No Second Place Winner...(I can't underline yet) and reading it once a year or so...he was a no b.s. gunman...

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

...you'd benefit from getting a copy of the late Bill Jordan's book-No Second Place Winner...(I can't underline yet) and reading it once a year or so...he was a no b.s. gunman...
Amen to that Sheepdog!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
We will never know how many lives have been saved by his book. I know it has saved me several times. Just the stance will tell the BG your dead unless you drop now. </u>Well worth the read for sure.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Using a crossdraw is fine in a car. The thing I don't like about it is that when you draw it you sweep it across your target having to fire within a very narrow space to register a hit. Using a strong hand draw you sweep up through your target having a much longer area to register a telling hit. A hit from the pelvis to the top of the head (given a defensive use) will usually register a telling hit. You can also fire the gun while it's still in motion, if we are talking usual fighting distances, & still register a hit on the large part of your target. Gunfighting is a grim busisness & we shouldn't give away any advantages we might have. Even when the fight starts is usually dictated by the suspect not you. If you have time to dictate when it will start you probably have time to leave & prevent a fight at all. These are my thoughts. Frank

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
When wearing OWB I wear cross draw because of vehicle travel. I learned that strong side while driving is hampered by the seat belt and the fact that you must lean forward to draw.... I say to each his own.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, the old Sloan's Liniment man...rub it in,rub it in....just wait till the holiday cooking hits, you'll come down to earth...:D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sheepdog 31 years Stanislaus Co. S/O 15 of those as a rangemaster. read bill Jordans No Second Place Winner. Bill spent,I think,30 years as a Border Patrol Officen in a period when gunfights were as common as not. Frank

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thank you for your service, Frank V...you got a way of saying it all...shame you retired...young troopies would be better prepared to become old troopies with that kind of training.....Bill J. lived in my hometown...I patrolled his neighborhood, and never met him...read his book and called him up to thank him and talk to him about it...nicest guy you ever wanted to talk to...humble and open...never heard a bad word said about him...but then no hablo espanol:D:D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Maybe a bit off topic, but it said "Cross-Draw". I took an Uncle Mikes' nylon holster to a local shoe-maker and had the belt loop cut-off and sewn back on at a 45* angle for my .45 Black Hawk and white-tale hunting.

Sitting on a log or stump the pistol is so handy it's sinfull.... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.