Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In NH crossbows are legal during the regular rifle season with a crossbow permit and can be used in place of a bow during bow season if a permanent disability prevents you from drawing the minimun bow weight.

I bought an Excalibur this spring and have practiced some with it to prepare for the gun season in November. It came with a crossbow scope, mounts, rope cocker and 4 bolts. The Excalibur's have no wheels like a compound bow but are just a recurve bow set up as a crossbow. Mine pulls 175# and I was wondering about cocking with just the rope cocker they provide but the rope with pulleys makes both cocking and uncocking smooth and easy to do. The model I got isn't high end but I am impressed with the ruggedness of it. I still have to quiet it down to hunt with it and will likely replace the scope with a Leupold Crossbow scope next spring as I am unimpressed with the one that came with the unit. I am dead on at 20 yards, same at 30 yards and 4" high and 3" right at 40 yards all from a bagged rest.

Anyone else own one and have any tips? The thing is heavy and not something to wander around the woods with but more suited to tree stand hunting.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Terry have you tried different arrows? At 175# that crossbow should react to different arrow weights just like a different weight bullet would react in a firearm. I would pick up a few different arrows and use the same head on them that you would use for hunting and see if there is a difference. just my .02 Archery equipment can sometimes be picky.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got four bolts with it and I bought a half dozen others from Bass Pro. So far I have just used the 4 so when it stops raining I'll give the 6 I bought a shot. There is an archery shop about 30 miles north of me so I may head up there next week and see what he can do to quiet it down.
Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Terry,

Did you get your crossbow to quiet down? Did you get any Sims vibration dampeners?

What model Excaliber did you get? I'm looking at maybe getting the Axiom.

I'm not impressed with those scopes either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I killed deer a couple days ago with my crossbow i used a 20" bolt and a 100gr broad head i also have bushnell red dot on it. Its so accurate at 30 yards I am afraid I will split arrows some times. The crossbow I hunt with is a Carbon Express. They make crappy broad heads but legit crossbows.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terry,

Did you get your crossbow to quiet down? Did you get any Sims vibration dampeners?

What model Excaliber did you get? I'm looking at maybe getting the Axiom.

I'm not impressed with those scopes either.
I got the Axiom and haven't worked on quieting it down. Removing the quiver helps once on stand. I have hunted a few times as I have one area I'm concerned about backdrop with a firearm. I am impressed with the bow but come spring a Leupold is in the future and then I will take it to a bow pro shop north of here and see what they have to quiet it down.

Congrats on the deer J4L

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Sounds to me as though you might have to tune your broadheads. You can get nylon broadhead washers and then you can turn each one a little tighter to tune. If one isn't perfectly straight with the shaft it will steer the arrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts