Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal for 800 rounds on a a standard 10/22 synthetic stock. No rough cleaning or anything like that. Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ammo? Remington Golden Bullets?

I'd take a lead removal cloth to it and I'm sure it will clean right up.

Be careful though, the cloth will take the blueing off as well.

Maybe some Hoppes would be a better choice if u don't want to chance the cloth.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have you rubbed some off already?
That star pattern should be symmetrical and centered. Not off to one side like I see in the the picture.

If your powder/lead residue is off center then you need to redo the crown or it’s always going to throw fliers.

As for your question?
Build up at the crown is normal. That much I’m unsure of as I never have shoot 800 continuous without cleaning at least once.
I can’t go more than 3-500 anyway before I start having a sticky camber in most of my guns and I don’t hardly shoot anything with out a tight chamber.

Guess I need to take one of my Henry or 10/22 wmspeacial out and run a bunch of rounds through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have rubbed some off with some cleaning solvent before taking the pic, just didn’t rub too hard. Will the lead effect accuracy too much? It’s my rabbit/squirrel gun that I don’t take past 75 yards. I rather not ruin the crown by over cleaning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is a normal powder residue pattern from the blast of gas as the bullet leaves the barrel. The star is formed from the rifling and will clean easily with a little work. Wear in the muzzle usually comes from improper use of a cleaning rod and unless you are experiencing inaccuracy the bore is fine. These barrels last almost forever with a little proper cleaning. Other commenters have given good advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That star pattern should be symmetrical and centered. Not of to one side like I see in the the picture.

If your powder/lead residue is off center the you need to redo the crown or it’s always going to throw fliers.

As for your question?
Build up at the crown is normal. That much I’m unsure of as I never have shoot 800 continuous without cleaning at least once.
I can’t go more than 3-500 anyway before I start having a sticky camber in most of my guns and I don’t hardly shoot anything with out a tight chamber.

Guess I need to take one of my Henry or 10/22 wmspeacial out and run a bunch of rounds through it.

That star pattern should be symmetrical and centered. Not of to one side like I see in the the picture.

If your powder/lead residue is off center the you need to redo the crown or it’s always going to throw fliers.

As for your question?

Oh I’ve ran a bore snake through it twice already, obviously the bore snake was not enough. What is the recommendation for cleaning the muzzle ? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a normal powder residue pattern from the blast of gas as the bullet leaves the barrel. The star is formed from the rifling and will clean easily with a little work. Wear in the muzzle usually comes from improper use of a cleaning rod and unless you are experiencing inaccuracy the bore is fine. These barrels last almost forever with a little proper cleaning. Other commenters have given good advice.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was yesterday at 75 yards with a red dot in standing position. I think based on this the accuracy is okay, in just not as great of a shot
DFE631D8-B7A0-4D06-9218-623E83D838DA.jpeg

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank you!
It looked like some has been rubbed off that’s why I asked.

The right ride of the star isn’t the same, but if some has been cleaned off that would explain it. The thickest part looks centered.

I just use hops and a rag with a little elbo grease to remove that build up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looked like some has been rubbed off that’s why I asked.

The right ride of the star isn’t the same, but if some has been cleaned off that would explain it. The thickest part looks centered.

I just use hops and a rag with a little elbo grease to remove that build up.

Thank you so much! Will try it out and see what happens. I appreciate everyone’s help

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
22 LR ammo is dirty ...unburned powder , carbon , lead is normally left in a gun ...
Clean and lubricate it after each shooting session ... letting gunk build up , bake on and harden just makes cleaning harder . Pay attention to bolt face and extractor ...don't let them crud up .
Clean and Lube ...Every Time
Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all! Just wanted to update you all on my cleaning success. Took y’all advice and it cleaned up nicely. Thank you all so much for your time!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ammo? Remington Golden Bullets?

I'd take a lead removal cloth to it and I'm sure it will clean right up.

Be careful though, the cloth will take the blueing off as well.

Maybe some Hoppes would be a better choice if u don't want to chance the cloth.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had never seen what wasapparetly lead build upon the muzzle like that. It must have been from some hotter unplated bullets. I'll have to keep an eye out for this if it is caused by the 1750fps Aquilla and 1640fps Stinger ammo. Of course both bullets are plated..I have nevershot 800 rounds without cleaning either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts