Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually pretty serious about cleaning any firearm every time I shoot it, regardless of the number of rounds fired, and almost always I clean it that same day before putting it away. I've had a lot of experience over many years cleaning many kinds of firearms, including many years in the Army. But I think I messed up this time.

For reasons not relevant to this question I decided to see how long I could go without cleaning my GP100. I went to the range every day for about a week and ran over 500 rounds of various WC, SWC & RN lead .38 Special practice ammo through it, almost all double action and at high speed.

Each day I would wipe off the fouling on the outer surfaces with a dry rag, and there was a lot as this was pretty dirty ammo. I did not use any solvent and did not clean the bore or cylinder chambers at all. I quit shooting when the cylinder started getting a little harder to turn due to fouling buildup.

Then I cleaned it. The bore and the external surfaces cleaned up easily with Butches Bore Shine. So did most of the cylinder chambers, but the usual fouling build up in the chambers at the point where the case mouth reached were a bear to clean up.

In fact, after lots of elbow grease I still had enough of a crud ring that .357 rounds would not fit all the way into them without some force. So, I went at them again, this time with Hoppes and a .40 caliber bore brush and let the solvent sit in them overnight. Next day they were better but still not good enough, so I repeated this twice more. Some improvement each time but still lots of crud. Went back to a .38 caliber brush and cleaned again, twice, letting the solvent soak overnight.

I now can fit .357 rounds in easily and they eject easily but those crud rings are still visible and I want to remove them completely before firing the revolver again. I think it was the combination of a hot gun, fired fast for a sustained period, combined with dirty ammo and letting it all set for several days that just baked that foul crud in.

I guess I could clean it this same way every day and after some point it might come clean but that could take a very long time at this rate. Any suggestions for how I can clean up this mess I made? Some different solvent, tool or technique?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I use a .38 cal bronze 'Chamber Brush' made by Pro-Shot.

Works well. A bore brush is too small in diameter for the cylinder.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have heard of puting the brush in a dril and trying that i use that technique for cleaning the plstic fouling from my shotgun it seems to work great havent tried it on the 357 yet though

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try a Lewis lead remover kit available from Brownells,
works on the Cylinder and leading in the barrel, will not harm the gun if used properly. Been around for many, many years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts