Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be a real fool! I'm sitting here watching an episode of CSI Miami on A&E. As usual, the world's foremost forensic expert on firearms, ballistics, etc., Carrie is spouting pure drivel. This girl can take a quick glance at a deformed bullet and tell immediately what caliber gun it was fired from. She just eyes it and says, "This bullet was fired from a 9mm." Couldn't it have been from a .380, .38 Spec, 38 Super, etc. etc.? In another episode she just ran some data through the computer and based on the fact that the victim was shot with a .223 bullet and there was about 1 liter of blood on the floor, she determined that the victim had lain on the floor exactly 10 seconds before rising up and walking across the room. Gosh, was it a hollow point or fmj? Wouldn't that make a difference? Wouldn't the area on the body where the victim was hit make a difference? In yet another episode, she glanced at a bullet and said, "This was a hot, lead load, definitely a reload." Dang that girl is good. I hope if I'm ever shot to death she will be on the job!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by white dog

They needed her on the Kennedy assassination investigation.
Would have all been wrapped up in less than 60 minutes!:D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sure would have like to seen, our cases solved in less than an hour..... Dang Montana Crime Lab takes weeks to get her done, you know what I mean.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
As Baldy said, folks actually believe the stuff on the CSI shows is real, and they expect every PD in the country to be doing that stuff now.

We actually had a confession in a burglary where the perp decided to take his chances at trial. Good for him that he did as the jury let him go because we didn't find his fingerprints in the crime scene. The guy had told us that he knocked out a window, reached in and unlocked the door, and then picked up a few items and left.

The gun stuff in some of the shows and movies crack me up sometimes. I watched The Sentinelthe other day, and one of the USSS agents was jumping a local cop's case as to whether or not a murdered agent had gone for his weapon. The agent said that murdered agent could not have gone for his gone as the safety was still on and that USSS agents were taught to "flip" the safety while drawing instead or drawing and then "flipping" the safety as "most local cops are taught" in order to cut down on NDs.

I guess nobody told the writers that the USSS caries Sigs without safeties therefore no safety to "flip" and that over 70% of the cops in the US carry Glocks which also don't have a manual safety. The rest the carry TDA are pretty much always taught to carry with the safety lever in the fire position. According to the S&W factory guy that taught my armorers class, he knew of only one agency that required its officers to carry TDA with the safety lever engaged.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hollywood gets so much stuff wrong. When you know a little about firearms, the mistakes they make just ruin the show.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts