Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my rimfires! I currently have 3 and want more. I have a Buckmark target pistol and was thinking about getting a Mark III but I don't really need one because I think they are in the same class.

I was at the gun show this weekend and handled a Sig mosquito. It felt so good I really liked it but the reviews are so so. So I started looking at the SR22 and the reviews on that seem to be so so.

My question is how does the little plastic 22s compare to the Mark II and IIIs and Buckmarks? I LOVE the way they feel but that is a small factor. I am not worried about CCW with it. I am looking for a fun gun plinker but I want something that will reach accurately at least 25 yards. If they can't do that then I will most likely get the Mark III.

Anyone have any input on the SR22 or Mosquito?

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I rented the Sig Mosquito it was jamming like crazy. Honestly I prefer the Ruger SR-22/S&W M&P22. The M&P eats bulk all day, and the SR22 does just as well.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have also heard crappy reviews about the mosquito. Have you thought about getting an AR type .22? S&W, Colt, I think Shrubmaster might make one too. Heck get a 10/22 and build your own! If you are looking for a .22, and don't know what to get, just count yourself lucky you want a .22! Everyone and their dog makes at least one of 'em! :D

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I don't have any of them yet. Have done a fair bit of research though. The SR22 seems to get better reviews than the Sig Mosquito. It is known for liking pretty much any 22lr ammo. The S and W is really new to the market. One thing I noticed is that it only comes with one mag.

You can't go wrong with the Ruger Marks. Accurate. Reliable. Classic. Only downside for me is that they are hard to put back together after cleaning.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My Mark series guns will group into 3" unsupported with open sights. I have a Mark II Target with a 2x Leupold that will group into 1" at 25 yards supported. My SR22P will group 6"-8" unsupported at 25 yards. I dont mean to ruin your quest for one of these style pistols, but they simply arent as accurate as the Target style pistols. They are fun to shoot, but I like hitting what I shoot at.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The sr22 or Sig Mosquito are not close to being in the same class as your MK IIs or IIIs
I also have a Sig Mosquito and it also jams a lot no matter the brand of ammo you are useing

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Don't believe the SR22 is in the same class as the MK's.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also heard crappy reviews about the mosquito. Have you thought about getting an AR type .22? S&W, Colt, I think Shrubmaster might make one too. Heck get a 10/22 and build your own! If you are looking for a .22, and don't know what to get, just count yourself lucky you want a .22! Everyone and their dog makes at least one of 'em! :D
I was looking in the .22 handgun category. I am set on .22 rifles for now. thanks though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My Mark series guns will group into 3" unsupported with open sights. I have a Mark II Target with a 2x Leupold that will group into 1" at 25 yards supported. My SR22P will group 6"-8" unsupported at 25 yards. I dont mean to ruin your quest for one of these style pistols, but they simply arent as accurate as the Target style pistols. They are fun to shoot, but I like hitting what I shoot at.
This is what I assumed. Thank you its good to hear some first hand expierence. I think I will pass for now, and go with a mark series, I like accuracy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sig no

The Sig is not as accurate as the Ruger Mk.3. There is no way to improve the trigger to even close to a Mk. with a VQ sear. If you want small and light try a 22/45 w/4.5 slabside or a Lite.
Stew

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
DON'T GET THE MOSQUITO. I can tell you from first hand experience they only like high velocity rounds and will still jam frequently. If you want to go that style of .22 get either the Walther P22 or SR 22 pistol. They will run circles around the Mosquito.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with most posts, the accuracy is Not there for a target pistol.

I have a
Standard Mk.II, Cons, 40ounces heavy
22/45 LITE Mk.III 22oz Cons, None after Modifications
SR22P Cons,very short sight radius, But if you dont mind this not being a very accurate gun, then its a fun, close range, Small & Light gun

If i were you, get a 22/45 LITE, this is a VERY High Value gun.

upgrading a Steel 22/45 to a Light barrel is usually over $200.00 for just the light barrel, that is threaded.

Mine is Modified, But it is AWESOME!! & Very accurate

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I'll second the 22/45 Lite suggestion. I don't have one, but I handled one at a gun show recently and it felt good. It would be similar in weight to the SR22, but you'd get that Mark accuracy out of it and you have a plethora of options for internal upgrades (the Volquartsen kit is a must-have, in my opinion) as well as grips, optics, etc.

That would be my choice at this point. And you can probably get a good buy on the Talo version in black. :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
View attachment 4902
I agree it is not a Mark series but my wife and I put our SR22 to 50 yards and got that 6"-8"

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have both a MKIII and a SR22. The SR22 is not as accurate as the MK but I think the SR22 is better than people give it credit. out to around 15 yards, I am equally as accurate with both at the distance increases, the accuracy of the SR22 decreases and to a lesser extent the MKIII. I prefer the SR22 and think I could outshoot anyone at closer range because I have spent a lot of time with my SR22.

My personal opinion is the Mosquito isn't worth the bulk ammo you plan on feeding it.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
I've fired the Sig Mosquito, I wasn't impressed and it jammed several times. I own 2x SR22 pistols, while not target pistols they do a good job. I can consistently hit an 8" plate at 25 yards, they rarely jam and they handle cheap Ammo well for me. Keep them clean and they function well.

I don't know what it is, they are just fun to shoot and feel like shooting a "real" gun. I don't know why, but the target pistols are just boring to me, not enough fun in them. For competition, however, I'd go with a good target pistol, the objective is a little different.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Imo The SR22 is the best of it's type on the market. The P22's have a cast zinc slide that some are deforming and they only like hi end ammo. My 2 SR's will eat anything I feed them. Mostly Federal bulk Walmart.They'not MK's but they weren't supposed the be.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bought a SR22-CT a little over a month ago and have put 1855 rds thru it with no problems encountered. The gun has been nothing short of fantastic, I have put three types of rds; 750 rds of CCI-Blazer; 555 rds of Winchester White bulk and 550 rds of Federal Bulk.
My vote is for the SR22...

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
The Mosquito is not made by Sig Sauer, it is made by it's holding company Umarex and does not represent the quality of the name it bears. Stay away.

I can't advise on the little SR22, but I would highly recommend the 22/45, all the benefits of a substantial modern handgun.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I have owned a couple Buckmarks over the years, and they're a fine gun, but the Ruger Marks are, IMHO more dependable, and at least as accurate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts