Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a NIB blued carbine and SS 10/22 today. I have eight others that range from a vintage 1966 to later 2003 and the finish on all of them appear to be way ahead of the two new ones. Lets forget about the polymer trigger group and just talk about the general finish. The SS barrel isn't as polished and the front sight looks like it was made in the later WWII years. The receiver isn't even a polished aluminum like my older SS rifle but rather appears to be painted silver. The stock is nice and lightweight but the edges are sharp and the plastic seems to be a lot cheaper than the older ones. The blued rifle certainly doesn't have the quality finish as the older ones.

I bet they are just as accurate and will last as long as the older rifles but they sure aren't anything special to look at.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
My 2008 Sporter has the flat black painted receiver. Kind of detracts from the nice walnut stock. Goes with the dull black bluing on the barrel, though.

On the bright side, Birchwood-Casey Super Blue works perfect on the barrel, and I'd rather redo a painted receiver than an anodized one, if it ever needs it. Still looks good after 4 years and a couple thousand rounds.

I recently removed the scope, and the mount left shiny marks on the black paint. A light once over with red Scotchbrite dulled them down to match.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree the quality has gone down. I bought one 10 yrs ago and one this weekend. The older one is much much better quality. Now they use plastic trigger groups and barrel bands. The finishes are not nearly as nice.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea what I'm going to do with these two. I have a SS skeleton stock 10/22 from 1999 but put the SS on a SS Butler Creek folding stock. I may switch them back so the skeleton stock rifle is correct again. Then I could put the SS receiver and barrel on the folding stock. But I may also save it if I can find an international stock. The blued rifle has a better finish than the ss rifle.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the quality has gone down. I bought one 10 yrs ago and one this weekend. The older one is much much better quality. Now they use plastic trigger groups and barrel bands. The finishes are not nearly as nice.
The polymer trigger groups are high quality and don't have a problem with them. But the cheap plastic stock sucks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The polymer trigger groups are high quality and don't have a problem with them. But the cheap plastic stock sucks.
I have no issue w/ the trigger group, either ... but the cheap plastic butt plate on an otherwise nice hardwood stock sets me off something awful.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Funny you brought this up, we got a carbine for the grandson for Christmas & I thought the finish would have been a little better. Some roughness around the edges of the stock, black paint on the receiver nothing to brag about, same with the bluing on the barrel. Nothing really wrong with it per se but I was expecting a little more.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My new manlicher stocked one has a less than smooth finish. The walnut has nice figuring but whoever finished that stock did not do a very good job. I will correct it. But I shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Picked up a new carbine this morning from a local sports store. Blued with synthetic stock. Very happy with my purchase. Box has 08/10/12 stamped on it, not sure it that's when it was made? Seems to be well built. Haven't shot her yet but hopefully I can very soon.

I have a td that I purchased roughly half a year ago. Main diff for me, other than the fact that the td obviously takes down, are the sights. This new carbine has some type of fiber optics vs the normal flip down rear sight with the gold dot on the td. The fiber optics are kind of intriguing to me.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up a new carbine this morning from a local sports store. Blued with synthetic stock. Very happy with my purchase. Box has 08/10/12 stamped on it, not sure it that's when it was made? Seems to be well built. Haven't shot her yet but hopefully I can very soon.

I have a td that I purchased roughly half a year ago. Main diff for me, other than the fact that the td obviously takes down, are the sights. This new carbine has some type of fiber optics vs the normal flip down rear sight with the gold dot on the td. The fiber optics are kind of intriguing to me.
I've been told that date would be the day it was officially a gun and offered for sale.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
At this point I'm just scared to see what the next cost cutting point is going to be. My guess is we aren't far from seeing a plastic barrel with a steel liner like the Henry AR-7. It will still be a shooter I guess.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Its scary to think what these companies are doing i just refinished a gun thats over 60 years old for a buddy reblued it got the rust off etc and the quallity of the componits are way different then todays guns depending on cost but u guys know what i mean

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
It's sorta weird, I think. The stuff that makes the rifle go bang reliably and for longer than we live? They do that part fine. But then when it come to the window dressing, you get the impression they hire minimum wage workers from the local temp service to do the finishing.

My birch carbine has nice wood, and the blue barrel is pretty nice. When they put the plastic piece on the butt, it doesn't fit right. Also when they sprayed the receiver cover black, they got some of the paint inside. The silver part is spattered with black.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Also when they sprayed the receiver cover black, they got some of the paint inside. The silver part is spattered with black.
I just removed the black paint from my Charger receiver, not just on the outside, but also on the inside, where it was painted heavily and completely to the point of the paint flaking off into the action. I'm a big Ruger fan, but Ruger should be able to do better than this.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I purchased a new plastic stock blued 10/22 a few weeks before Christmas and I have to say my 1982 10/22 looks a whole lot better than this one. I had removed the wood stock from my old one and put a plastic stock a friend of mine gave me and when you put them side by side the new one actually looks cheap compared to the old one.

The bluing of the barrel is deep looking and shines on the old gun, the new one look painted and dull. My old one is heavier than the new one. Both have the same stock but the older is just a little heavier. Guess it's the plastic trigger group in the new that makes it lighter. Plastic, yuck.

Also my older one is way more accurate and has has 1000's of rounds through it. Shoots a 1/2" group at 50 yds. compared to 1" at 50 for the new one. The new one won't last near as long as it does not have the quality components of the older gun.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I have no problem with the polymer trigger. Heck, people buy zillions of polymer framed handguns. I don't think they'd be real happy, though, if the quality wasn't first rate.

My basic 10/22 was $218 at my LGS. My birch sporter model 1149 was $279. Both function flawlessly, yet they both have subpar finishing.

Ruger seems to sell every 10/22 they can make. I suspect that if they ramped up the quality a bit, even if meant higher prices, they would still sell just as fast. 10/22's get sold faster than Marlin 60's that cost $50 less

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no problem with the polymer trigger. Heck, people buy zillions of polymer framed handguns. I don't think they'd be real happy, though, if the quality wasn't first rate.

My basic 10/22 was $218 at my LGS. My birch sporter model 1149 was $279. Both function flawlessly, yet they both have subpar finishing.

Ruger seems to sell every 10/22 they can make. I suspect that if they ramped up the quality a bit, even if meant higher prices, they would still sell just as fast. 10/22's get sold faster than Marlin 60's that cost $50 less
I agree with you on the polymer. If they raised the finish quality and raised their prices I don't think they would sell as many but I bet their profits would be better and we would be getting better looking firearms.

Or maybe they saw the writing on the wall and knew their manufacturing days were numbered and cranked out as many as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts