Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per lots of threads on the subject, it would seem that at least some of the commercially available sizing dies, while technically within spec, are a little on the small side. I know most makers will make custom dies, so I have some questions.

Has anyone ever had this done, and how hard and expensive was it?

Does this forum ever support a group buy (though I suspect we don't have near enough folks interested to change the cost)?

Do you think we could contact the major die makers and get an accurate measurement of the interior diameter of their sizing dies. I think the goal is to find someone who isn't at the SAAMI minimum (and is that likely)?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Per lots of threads on the subject, it would seem that at least some of the commercially available sizing dies, while technically within spec, are a little on the small side. I know most makers will make custom dies, so I have some questions.

Has anyone ever had this done, and how hard and expensive was it?

Does this forum ever support a group buy (though I suspect we don't have near enough folks interested to change the cost)?

Do you think we could contact the major die makers and get an accurate measurement of the interior diameter of their sizing dies. I think the goal is to find someone who isn't at the SAAMI minimum (and is that likely)?

Morning 64Chevy

I'm pretty sure a call to the major die suppliers tec help lines will get you their general (nominal) ID of their sizing die. How close yours really is would have to measured with a pin gage & a good micrometer.

As far as finding one that isn't at minimum SAAMI spec?-- that might be difficult as producing at minimum SAAMI spec covers all bases as far a case thickness & bullet retention goes.

Probably the best place for you to start is to call your die manufacturer & ask if they will hone yours out (takes a diamond hone) & if so how much would it cost to have it done.

Maybe if you tell them that your cases are sticking they might polish the ID of your sizing ring for free (worth a try anyhow)

My minimum size Lee sizing die doesn't stick (even with new unpolished Starline brass) but does re-size the brass too small for my needs. The Lee expander die did stick just slightly on unused brass for the first expansion.

Once the brass is shot & goes through my tumbler then no more (not even a hint of) expander sticking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts