Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use gun socks to keep from dinging up my guns in my safe. Problem: standard handgun socks are not long enough for three of my Ruger revolvers. Solution: cut a long gun sock to size and sew up the end (it helps to have a wife who knows how to sew). See the results (a standard size handgun sock is at the top of the picture for comparison).

(Originally posted by mistake in the Semi-Auto forum).

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
interesting ... I guess I could use some old wool & cotton blend hunting socks that I don't use ...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have some of those socks but have transitioned to all Bore Stores with a Velcro closure. I like your idea though and have a heavy duty sewing machine. However, cutting a knit fabric requires serging the cut edge. I might prefer to just fold the excess and tack it in place.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Do you treat them with any moisture repellant? I've seen cases of guns rusting in these socks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The long gun socks I started with were a silicone impregnated knit from Miidway. There's too much excess to just fold over and tack; my wife's machine is a serger. The rest of the original gun sock is long enough to use to protect an extra shotgun barrel or the like.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
my mother required me to learn how to use a sewing machine when I left for colllege and in things like this it is helpful in the extreme.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I use to keep my old 1964 Remington 1100 in a silicone sock in the back of my safe til I read on one of the gun forums that it could accumulate moisture. I've stopped. Don't know if it's true but won't take a chance with that shotgun.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use to keep my old 1964 Remington 1100 in a silicone sock in the back of my safe til I read on one of the gun forums that it could accumulate moisture. I've stopped. Don't know if it's true but won't take a chance with that shotgun.
It hasn't work that way for me. I've used silicon impregnated gun socks for my Remington 1187 skeet and Wingmaster since I've owned them. After 40 + years with the pump and more then 25 with skeet gun..............never seen a problem with rust.
And 3 more .22 rifles, 4 handguns and assortment of other shotguns...it's been the same..Zero rust!:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

In a dry safe (I use 3 electric desiccant units and a Golden Rod), silicone gun socks won't cause a problem if your guns are clean and oiled (i.e., don't ride 'em hard and put them up wet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts