Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a custom No.1 in the spirit of a stalking rifle. I am thinking a mild caliber, quarter rib, banded front sight.
Any one have any recomondations on a reputable gunsmith. I have never built a No.1 before and not really up on who can do the job.
Any recommendations would be welcome!

·
Banned
650 Posts
I know someone that can do it but you are going to be way back on his list. He isn't much for dealing with dreamers. You are talking about $3,000 worth of work on a $1,000 rifle. He prefers to deal with customers who are not throwing money away. Like $3,000 refurbishing a $100,000 shotgun.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Regan Nooneman

I just got my No. 1 back from Regan Nonneman. He took my 1A in 222 Rem. and turned it into a 1V (still in 222 Rem.)* by replacing the original barrel with a Shilen varmint barrel. Then he gave the barrel match chamber with a tight neck and barrel mounted scope bases. He also replaced the forearm with a Ruger No. 1V (varmint) forearm. Along with the 1.75lb. Jard trigger I had already bought for the rifle, it is now something really special.

I took it out on Monday to break in the barrel. While going through my break in procedure and fire forming brass, with no load development I still got 5-shot/100-yard groups well under an inch.

Now, I will be taking it back to the range for some load development and to sight in the Nikon 4.5-18X40mm Prostaff I just bought from Nachez for it. I fully expect sub 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200 yards with the rifle as it is now.

*Ruger never made the 1V in 222 Remington. I wanted that configuration. I am glad I found Regan Nonneman. No other gunsmith offered such a simple deal at a reasonable price.

Here is a link to Regan's site:

Ruger No. 1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old Crow,the wait time or price is not my biggest concern. I have been involved in firearms and custom guns most of my adult life. I am interested in a gunsmith that is capable of actually doing the work not talking about why he has not done anything while asking for money up front like any other thief.
Slowshot thank you for your input. I like your No.1 project and am glad that it turned out to your satisfaction. Slowshot, what factory forearm do you think would best match up with a #3 taper barrel?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Slowshot thank you for your input. I like your No.1 project and am glad that it turned out to your satisfaction. Slowshot, what factory forearm do you think would best match up with a #3 taper barrel?
There are others more qualified to answer that question. Having the 1A modified to become a 1V was my first (and probably will be my last) project with a Ruger No. 1. Most options in a No. 1 that interest me can be bought off the shelf, or at least through re-sellers such as Classic Sporting Arms. That is where I got the 1A in 222 Remington.
Ruger No. 1 Rifles for Sale « Classic Sporting Arms

My 1V in 220 Swift came to me through gunbroker.com.

When my rifle arrived, about a week ago, I was surprised to see it had a 24" barrel, rather than the 26" barrel my 1V in 220 Swift had. Still, it is a 24" Shilen barrel with a match chamber. So, how bad could it be?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hmmmmm, how bout 2 out of three ? The 1-S fits the bill as far as quarter rib, banded front sight, etc. but I cant find a lighter caliber than 30-06. However, my No 1 RSI in 7 x 57 mauser is a very nice mild caliber stalking rifle, but its a full length mannlicher stock(well, forend).....

I would personally avoid SSK industries just because of JD Jones enormous ego.... he does work when and if he feels like it, no apologies given and he feels its an honor just to give him money and wait. My own personal experience with him soured me from having anything ever to do with him again, but, your results may vary..... Just a word of caution based upon your earlier remark.

I am interested in a gunsmith that is capable of actually doing the work not talking about why he has not done anything while asking for money up front like any other thief.

Sorry I could not address your question specifically with a recomendation, this is the best i can offer...

·
Banned
76 Posts
So far noone has tried to get specifics from you on what you mean by a custom project.

A simple rebarrel and or a rechamber and rebore might be considered a custom job in some's eyes. (Cost is well under a grand not $3000.)

At the upper end of the scale you can have a "one of" #1 made wholly to your needs and wishes. That entails beautiful,custom shaped, select wood made to your specs -- not the factory's --; a new after market trigger; a wholly different foreend mounting approach than the flawed Ruger design; and any number of aesthetic touches from color case hardening to engraving and ornate checkering. (Costs can soar on the really ornate custom projects but you can get a very good looking custom #1 made better than Ruger ever dreamed of doing it for @ $3000. Custom rifles built by "name" gunsmiths will cost more but hold more value -- even if most of the work is actually done by shop apprentices.

Lots of gusmiths can do the former. Only a few can do the latter -- right, that is. Kip Wood in Mt. Pleasant MI is one of them.

I have experience in projects involving both levels of customizing #1s and 3s. Most of mine are simple new barrel jobs -- like 1Bs in 338-06, .338 Federal, and 257 WBY. More extensive custom work went into my .35 Whelen 1H and 41 mag IV (shortened). Full custom projects in my safe include gorgeously stocked 7mm-08 and 6.5 Swedes in #3 profiles and a 257 Roberts AI ; a ltwt 6.8 SPC II stalking rifle in full camo; and a 9.3x62 Mauser in a 1B profile.

I have had only one bad experience -- poor communication, prolonged delays and broken promises mainly -- and that was with the most famous of the custom makers I have used. Go figure.

wunbe

·
Registered
673 Posts
I know someone that can do it but you are going to be way back on his list. He isn't much for dealing with dreamers. You are talking about $3,000 worth of work on a $1,000 rifle. He prefers to deal with customers who are not throwing money away. Like $3,000 refurbishing a $100,000 shotgun.
I forgot to mention, my 1A to Varmint conversion cost me $475, delivered. That is of course with me supplying the 1A and Mr. Nonneman trading stocks straight across. After load testing, I am now getting 5-shot 100 yard groups under 1/2" with great regularity. My best 100 yard group so far measured .390". This coming week, I am going to shoot a few 200 yard groups to see what that gets me. Next, I am going to float the barrel and see what's that does. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts