Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first try at making my own grip panels and this is the compact grip originally for the 3" GP100. I made these panels from mesquite wood. The ferrules and screw are Ruger parts from Midway USA. I finished the mesquite with Minwax Antique Oil Finish. I am pleased with the results and hope to make more from other woods.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Very nice work. I made a set for my SP101 out of some oak. At some point I'd like to try some other types of wood as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. My GP looks the same, but has hickory heart from one of our esteemed members . . .

That looks very nice. I used to prefer darker woods but I am tending to lighter woods now. I don't remember seeing hickory on grip panels before. It gives your gun a unique look.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Very nice job. Looks like fit and finish is 100%.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Absolutely awesome work...and look! Incredible...thanks for sharing!

I, too, prefer the smaller factory Lett grip...it just fits in my small hands better!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
This is my first try at making my own grip panels and this is the compact grip originally for the 3" GP100. I made these panels from mesquite wood. The ferrules and screw are Ruger parts from Midway USA. I finished the mesquite with Minwax Antique Oil Finish. I am pleased with the results and hope to make more from other woods.
You've done a great job there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The grain is beautiful in that mesquite wood. Nice work!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quite attractive if I do say so myself. Next set I do I am going to see just how shiny I can make them. I read about a guy refinishing a stock. Crap he did 15 or so coats. Went down to steel wool for polishing. Came out shiny, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts