Midwest Industries 12" M-lok free float lightweight handguard
Green Mountain 18" SS mid-profile fluted rifle length gas 1:8 .223 wylde barrel
ATI Scorpion X2 grip and Tactlite stock
Radical Arms melonited BCG
Bud Ready linear comp
MAGPUL Gen 3 30rnd pmags

Weight is 6lbs 8oz without optic

Waiting on rings to mount Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40

The 80% lower was a beeyotch on a taper chuck drill press but I did it. Pretty ugly inside but it functions great. Still needs some trigger work to lighten it up. Runs M855 fine, but the ejection pattern was odd. Two distinct piles of brass at 2 and 4 o'clock, plus a few at 3. Love the grip and handguard BTW. Highly recommended. I had a lot of fun with this build.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very interesting! I am looking to build an upper and have been looking at the Green Mtn barrels. What is your experience with them? Is this your first GM barrel? I am looking at that same barrel you used.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's my first GM. Overall quality feels and looks very good. Haven't tested for accuracy yet. The company itself is very good as well, they sent a follow-up email and letter to make sure I was satisfied.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,038 Posts
Heartbreaker, By now, I hope you have contacted BATF and got a serial number for that 80% lower. If not, you may want to take a few minutes to read PUBLIC LAW 90-618-OCT. 22, 1968 SEC. 5842. You cannot sell, give away, or transport a firearm without a serial number unless it is a rifle or shotgun made before Jan 1, 1969.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I have been told, you are not required to register/serialize a homemade weapon unless you plan to make it a Title II weapon or to sell it.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to do a pencil build with a MI rail. I want a super light build.
If you're going with an adjustable stock, try the ATI Tactlite. 5.8 oz, about the same as Mission First Battlelink but IMO the Tactlite is sturdier

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice looking rifle and from what little I know it seems like you used some really good parts. Curious as to why the 80% lower though? A stripped lower is pretty cheap even after you pay a transfer fee so I'm guessing it wasn't to save money. What was your rationale on that decision?

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nice looking rifle and from what little I know it seems like you used some really good parts. Curious as to why the 80% lower though? A stripped lower is pretty cheap even after you pay a transfer fee so I'm guessing it wasn't to save money. What was your rationale on that decision?
I'm not 21 so I can't buy a stripped lower. Didn't want to buy a complete rifle and have lots of parts left over. No background check necessary is a bonus. I fill out enough paperwork at my job as it is.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I'm not 21 so I can't buy a stripped lower. Didn't want to buy a complete rifle and have lots of parts left over. No registration necessary is a bonus.
I didn't know Ohio had a gun registration system - that's too bad. None here in FL. I also didn't know you had to be 21 to buy a stripped lower - is that because you could use one to assemble a pistol and not a rifle? I don't think about any age restrictions since 21 was in my rear view mirror a long ways back....

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know Ohio had a gun registration system - that's too bad. None here in FL. I also didn't know you had to be 21 to buy a stripped lower - is that because you could use one to assemble a pistol and not a rifle? I don't think about any age restrictions since 21 was in my rear view mirror a long ways back....
Sorry, I meant background check. Ohio is pretty decent as far as gun laws, now that they got rid of the stupid machine gun definition, I.e. >30 round mag makes it a MG. Yeah, frickkin AR pistols kinda spoiled it.

·
17,038 Posts
Heartbreaker, Wow, you have a lot of legal things going against you ... read the GCA of '68 before you get busted and can't own a gun!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Nothing to fear, assuming he's not a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or completed the lower with intent to sell.

For your information, per the provisions of the GCA, an unlicensed individual may make a ‘firearm’ as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.” FTB went on to declare “Also, based on the GCA, manufacturers’ marks of identification are not required on firearms that are produced by individuals for personal use.
Q: Is it legal to assemble a firearm from commercially available parts kits that can be purchased via internet or shotgun news?
Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.
Let's stop spreading misinformation.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heartbreaker, Wow, you have a lot of legal things going against you ... read the GCA of '68 before you get busted and can't own a gun!
Can you explain more fully what you mean?

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing to fear, assuming he's not a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or completed the lower with intent to sell.

Let's stop spreading misinformation.
Exactly, none of those are applicable.

·
17,038 Posts
Heartbreaker, The reason why I suggested reading the above GCA of 1968 is ... by law, every firearm made after Dec 31, 1968 requires a serial number. BATFE got beat up pretty bad by the Supreme Court when Thompson Center took their case to the highest court. T/C's issue also involved "kit guns" ... but it was more like putting a rifle barrel and stock on a pistol frame (or vice versa). As a result, the US Attorney General directed Federal law enforcement to selectively NOT enforce a few of the provisions in the 68 GCA and allow "kit guns".

Herein les the problem and potential risk .... very few local law enforcement agencies really have a technical working knowledge of Federal laws. So .... Officer Friendly stops you for a routine traffic issue and asks if you have a firearm in your vehicle (pretty much standard practice now days). You show the LEO (or Game Warden) your AR with no serial number. Guess what? The LEO will likely confiscate the firearm and charge you with possession of an illegal firearm. With a decent lawyer, no doubt, the charges will be dropped but in the meantime, you likely took a trip to jail, got you car towed, got your gun confiscated, and paid a lawyer. This scenario repeats itself on a frequent basis with local law enforcement and game wardens nation wide that don't take your "word" as an authority on Federal law. In your case, being under 21 would most likely complicate the issues.

Further, if you are like most other gun guys, there may come a time where you want to sell your kit gun .... not legal without a serial number!!! Same goes for transporting a firearm across state lines or shipping a firearm by any legal means .... a serial number is required!!

What pittance amount you may have saved buying a 80% lower is far outweighed by the potential for bad things to happen.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm not 21 so I can't buy a stripped lower. Didn't want to buy a complete rifle and have lots of parts left over. No background check necessary is a bonus. I fill out enough paperwork at my job as it is.

It's been a long time since I've needed to worry about these details here in Ohio, however... I thought an eighteen year old in Ohio could own a long-gun and its ammunition, only needing to be 21 for hand-guns and their ammunition. Isn't a stripped lower, (serialized) seen as a 'complete' rifle anyway?

As I said its a long time since these types of details have applied to me so feel free to update me where I'm wrong.

P.S. If you're under 21 you might rethink the "SR9" on your signature line. :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts