Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had these two Vaqueros setting out and about in my cave for some time now. I’m starting to wonder just what, was I thinking……They were case harden, the barrels were prepped for bluing, lettering removed and Garza front sights installed. The frames were machined for the installation of the S&W J frame adjustable sights. Bisley hammer and trigger installed. Setting gap and forcing cone and finally timing and action job.

I have a background in mechanical mathematics and I’ve tried my best to except the height of these front sights. Using a level and 2 straight edges across the top and in the sight picture related to the front sights, all this just don’t add up. I’m no crack shot but I can hit a 5 gallon bucket lid at 7 yards with these two guns. One has the rear sight at ¾ turn up the other is three turns up from bottom.

These front sight would really look proud setting on a 7.5 inch or 10 inch for that matter on a custom build in a big caliber single action….Oh me I giving myself ideas…..They are just not doing it on a short barrel gun. I’m not sure I haven’t created some ugliness here. Anybody got any ideas or thoughts on what I might do for a much lower or smaller front sight profile.

·
Cat Herder
1,570 Posts
I think the problem lies in the rear sight being above the sight channel. That's a major increase in height. A Blackhawk has the sight assembly much lower, essentially level with the top strap, not on top of it.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
I don't know how much money you want to throw at this at this point but perhaps a custom rear that is a simple blade with a notch that could be mounted lower than the adjustable rear that's in there now. Kinda like what the original Single Sixes had for a rear but in your case made to fit whatever the shape of the milled area is. If you could get the rear down closer to the original groove then your front could be brought down.

When I shortened my OM BH in 30 Carbine from 7.5" to 3.75" I left the new front sight tall and then filed it down to height at the range. Once I was satisfied I had the height right then I put the ramp profile I wanted and finally added the serrations with a checkering file. Then it was reblued after I was satisfied with the results. I was concerned I was going to end up with something really odd - I had no idea what a 3.75" 30 Carbine was gonna look like.

If you don't care as much about how accurately the sights are regulated you could just modify the front to what you think looks "right". Or just accept it as it is and realize sometimes custom ideas have interesting outcomes. I did a GP100 project that I look at sometimes and wonder if I went too far. It happens. But we tend to often be our worse critic too.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
It seemed like a good idea...but like a lot of ideas , in the harsh reality of bright light .... it was a product of the "Bad Idea" fairy...he comes around when you're sleeping and plants these "Bad " ideas in your head .
I must admit... the photo's are shocking ... I didn't expect them to be so danged
" Homely " .... those front sights ....can anything be done ...they need help.
Gary

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,583 Posts
I agree with Spiff as to the height above the original sight line necessitating the tall front sight. Wave's idea of the sliding rear blade has merit for a future project, but those revolvers are already milled for the adjustable sight. Unlike gwperckle I don't find them homely. Different and non traditional...yes. I am primarily a shooter, so how they put bullets on target is important to me. I think they are cool and obviously custom. I think you're being a harsh critic, but in the end you're the one that has to be happy with them. Me...I would be dreaming of the custom double holster gun belt of floral carved leather to tote them in!

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
I don't think they look that bad. The stubby barrels make it look a bit out of proportion but the more I look at the guns the more I like them. I wouldn't try to fix them because I don't think they need fixing. If they were my guns I'd enjoy them as they are or I'd put set of 6.5 or 7.5" barrels on them. The sights would be less noticeable because of the size and length of the barrels. They are good looking pistols. A bit different, but still good looking IMO. I appreciate your vision and the work you put into them. Nicely done.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with Bonk. Maybe a bit oddly proportioned but they're unique. If they shoot then keep and enjoy them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I never could understand why anyone would put an adjustable rear sight on a Vaquero instead of just buying a Blackhawk. I'm not bashing any mans decisions. Your gun. Your fun. I think it's more a money thing for me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
'Hitting' a 5 gallon bucket lid at 7 yards is not good accuracy, imho, based on my bone stock 45lc Vaquero. Looks like the rear sights are adjusted way up to comp for the extremely high front sights. I'd take a file to the front sights until you get them more to your liking and move the rears down as you go. A lot of coin in those to have to be messing with the sights though. To each their own.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Who did the rear sight on your Vaquero? Garza and I have spoken about a project like this and he had no suggestions of who could machine the slot. Nice guy who knows his guns.

What caliber are your Vaqueros? I have three in 45 Colt for CAS and one in 32 H&R for fun. The 45 Vaquero frame is the most naturally aiming frame of any Ruger for me. I just would like a little more precise sight picture then the trough. A Vaquero frame in 38 or 41 special would be a prefect "woods" gun with adjustable sights for me.

I also shoot Blackhawk Bisleys in 32 H&R , 357 mag, 41 mag and 44 special. The 41 and 44 are built on the two digit prefix and the 357 is built on the three digit prefix frame. The 32 is on the single six frame. Why is the 357 on the largest frame?

Nice project guns, shoot them until you are tried of them and them pass them to someone to discover why they are great guns.

·
Registered
335 Posts
While I agree with what has been said so far, I have an idea that might make your guns a little more pleasing to the eye. Maybe if you removed the front sight, and milled a dovetail for a new front sight. This would get rid of the big base, and draw the attention away from the giant sight. Also, the front sights can be shortened a little by bottoming out the rear sights and filing the front to point of aim.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Your gunsmith can either mill off that guthook blade and slot the ramp for a new blade. My own preference for the front sight is the Ruger Blackhawk ramp sight as furnished on Blackhawks.

Here is my Colt SAA fitted with a Ruger Blackhawk front:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who did the rear sight on your Vaquero? Garza and I have spoken about a project like this and he had no suggestions of who could machine the slot. Nice guy who knows his guns.

What caliber are your Vaqueros? I have three in 45 Colt for CAS and one in 32 H&R for fun. The 45 Vaquero frame is the most naturally aiming frame of any Ruger for me. I just would like a little more precise sight picture then the trough. A Vaquero frame in 38 or 41 special would be a prefect "woods" gun with adjustable sights for me.

I also shoot Blackhawk Bisleys in 32 H&R , 357 mag, 41 mag and 44 special. The 41 and 44 are built on the two digit prefix and the 357 is built on the three digit prefix frame. The 32 is on the single six frame. Why is the 357 on the largest frame?

Nice project guns, shoot them until you are tried of them and them pass them to someone to discover why they are great guns.
Fermin knows who did the install of the rear J Frame sights but he ain't saying and neither am I. I'm not real happy with they way it turned out, David Bradshaw on the single action forum advised early on not to do this but I didn't listen to his advise.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'Hitting' a 5 gallon bucket lid at 7 yards is not good accuracy, imho, based on my bone stock 45lc Vaquero. Looks like the rear sights are adjusted way up to comp for the extremely high front sights. I'd take a file to the front sights until you get them more to your liking and move the rears down as you go. A lot of coin in those to have to be messing with the sights though. To each their own.

Just my 2 cents.
I must have two glass of wine when I started this thread I meant to type a one gallon lid. My wife and I were just talking about all the 5 gallon plastic buckets and lids I have stashed the garage attic and what for. Again with the one having 3/4 turn up and the other at three turns up there's not much to file off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your gunsmith can either mill off that guthook blade and slot the ramp for a new blade. My own preference for the front sight is the Ruger Blackhawk ramp sight as furnished on Blackhawks.

Here is my Colt SAA fitted with a Ruger Blackhawk front:

Bob Wright
Bob looking at your old Colt gives me the idea of just sending the guns off and having new longer barrels installed. Maybe some octagon 6.5 inch....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never could understand why anyone would put an adjustable rear sight on a Vaquero instead of just buying a Blackhawk. I'm not bashing any mans decisions. Your gun. Your fun. I think it's more a money thing for me.
Me neither, I could have found me a couple of flat tops sent them off for an action job, Bisley hammers and triggers and case hardened and been $,$$$.$$ ahead. If my wife ever finds out just how much I'm spending on guns, I'll get hands on the hip and a look for sure. But hey I just bought her a new SUV back in March so.......

·
Registered
523 Posts
Me neither, I could have found me a couple of flat tops sent them off for an action job, Bisley hammers and triggers and case hardened and been $,$$$.$$ ahead. If my wife ever finds out just how much I'm spending on guns, I'll get hands on the hip and a look for sure. But hey I just bought her a new SUV back in March so.......
I know how that spousal thing works. Someone said to me once. "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

·
Registered
496 Posts
If the rear sight is adjusted UP currently, and the front is filed down, if you did nothing, it would bring the POI UP. If u take some off the front, the rear can be moved down as well...,if you're happy with current poa, poi.

If I'm understanding the ask correctly...you don't care for the height of the front sight. As long as the rear sight is currently adjusted way up, material can be taken off the front and you'll be fine. If the rear is not way up....don't touch the front. You'll shoot high and have no fix...other than a new front sight.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The rear of the Smith & Wesson rear sight does not rest on top of the frame.

Mounted the way it is on the above Model 15 the front sight would not have to be so tall.
And really, for looks, it is too tall, that's all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts