Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by LGS Saturday, and ran across a Winchester 97 pump with a Cutts Compensator installed. Looked somewhat useless, being vented all the way around would be the same as an open muzzle? Does allow chokes to be screwed into it (had a Modified in it), and the clerk thought it came with three.

Anybody shot one?

Good photo of one here, post #3:

JC Higgins Model 20. thoughts and questions - Calguns.net

BTW, the 97 looked pretty good, about 85% with no pitting, tag said $400. No idea of year, but clerk said the Cutts were common in the Fifties.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The Cuts Compensator ls coyote ugly, but they worked. They were invented before anyone thought of screw in chokes. Another tool that emerged at about the same time period was the Poly-choke. I believe that some of the Cuts were factory options on the 97......Robin

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
My fondest memories of growing up duck hunting with my grandfather; sitting in pits along a "diver duck" pass in north central North Dakota. And I inherited the Cutts Compensator equipped Model 12 from him. Along with the Poly Choke, these were very popular back in the 50s. And if you ever shared a duck blind with someone shooting a Cutts, you'll never forget the muzzle blast it produced ! I loved it !!!:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
My Dad had those installed on his 12 gauge Browning A-5 (which I now possess) and on the 20 gauge Ithaca 37 which I recently gave to my granddaughter. They both came with a selection of screw-on chokes, Cylinder to xtra full. There was even and adjustable choke for the 12. I still can remember the fireball coming from my Dad's gun on early morning duck hunts. They were certainly not the most attractive addition to any gun and the extra weight did affect the balance. But for a preteen, seeing the fireball shooting out they were pretty cool. Also very loud, which might explain my loss of hearing to some degree.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had one installed a Remington 1148 auto, worked great but loud as He!!.
It did knock down the recoil a bit and patterns were about as good as you can get but again.................it was loud..........sound like a cannon going off.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
534 Posts
It did knock down the recoil a bit.....
As I understand the principle on using the Cutts Compensator on Thompsons and various shotguns, it was not to reduce recoil, but to help reduce muzzle climb.

Never have fired a shotgun with one - it would be interesting to fire identical shotguns, one with a Cutts Compensator and one without, at the same shooting session to compare the effect.

I have fired a Thompson with one while in the Navy. Don't know what it would be like without the device, but even with the compensator, Thompsons have some mean muzzle rise when firing any sort of burst.

Take care.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
cutts

I had one installed a Remington 1148 auto, worked great but loud as He!!.
It did knock down the recoil a bit and patterns were about as good as you can get but again.................it was loud..........sound like a cannon going off.:rolleyes:
:)Loud as hell, muzzle flash in dim light like a howitzer, but thinkin' back, wasn't it great !!!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
When i worked at a gun shop years ago we bought and sold quite a few shotguns with Cutts compensators on them. from what I remember about shooting them, they did have less perceived muzzle rise. The big advantage was the interchangeable chokes. We really take that for granted now a days. The most memorable Cutts Compensator I saw was on a Browning BAR Monitor that we did a class 3 transfer on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.