Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate cylinder latch marks around my cylinder! I had to take the gun apart and just slightly stone a radius on the latch edge to keep from cutting in, as this gun had more than just drag marks. Also note that in the Instruction Manual (Page 15 in mine), it states "To help prevent scoring of the cylinder, when closing the loading gate be sure that a chamber is directly aligned with the barrel. This can be achieved by rotating the cylinder so that a cylinder flute is equally spaced on either side of the top strap, closing the loading gate, and then verifying that the cylinder is locked in place". I guess this would keep the cylinder latch from pinging the cylinder when the loading gate is snapped shut. Every time you cock the hammer, the lock work does it's thing, and the cylinder latch must drag on the cylinder, which can't be helped. All we can do is make it as smooth as possible. Be sure to just smooth up the edge of the latch as not to distort its locking surface any. Anyone else having this problem, or got any ideas? KERMIT

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Do I remember wrong or does half-cock hold that latch down? Long time no see SA...used to spin the cylinder on my Single-Six for fun-don't remember a scoring-maybe OM was different in that area....

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,816 Posts
The Vaquero doesn't have a half cock position. When you open the loading gate, the cylinder latch is forced down. Yes, it helps a little to rotate the cylinder to align before closing the gate but eventually you will get a drag line all around the cylinder. The Old Model BH, SBH, and Single-Six didn't do this.

I made some extended hammer plungers that work in some guns. In other guns they break when you try to cock the hammer. The design issue in all New Model Ruger guns is the tail on the cylinder latch is much shorter than the OMs. As such, the cylinder latch is only held down long enough to allow the cylinder to rotate a few degrees when you cock the hammer. After a slight cylinder rotation, the cylinder latch pops up and rubs on the cylinder, thus creating a drag line. There is nothing wrong with your gun ... they all do that but it is unsightly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kermit,

One of mine was bugging me and I did the same thing you did. Then I checked the rest of my revolvers and they're all the same. SA's, DA's, Rugers,(and Smith's), plus an old High Standard and an FIE.

You really don't see many that have been handled without some scratching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts