Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to the knowledge wizards on RF - I have several SP-101 .357's and I would like to have a spare cylinder converted to 9mm. There are several available on the auction sites - the nicest one lists the cylinder length as 1.580-inches. Eventually - I need to buy a caliper - then I won't be asking such a dumb question!!

But, until then - does anyone know if Ruger has made two different cylinder lengths for the SP-101? I remember, years ago, when the barrels were marked something like "For 125-G Only". I am afraid those may be shorter cylinders that won't fit the current SP-101's - and that's why they're still available for sale!!

I'm thinking that, with smart guys like Honda357 and Oceanshape (not sure about the screen names ... ;) ) out there - someone knows the answer to this question. Thanks!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
With the chamber already bored out to accept the straightwalled .38/.357, how will you tighten the chamber down to 9mm cartridge length? If you use moon clips, there will be a bit of free bore in the cylinder before the chamber end/forcing cone beginning?

Seems like a fun idea, but difficult to work out.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Straightwall - you got me worried with your question - so I checked the SAAMI spec sheets again. Having nothing else to do - I found their site and downloaded the .pdf's earlier this year ... ;) The .357 case is straight-walled (no pun intended!) and the chamber measures .3800 at the case mouth. The 9mm case tapers - but, importantly, the chamber measures .3810 (per the specs, anyway) at the case mouth.

Sooo - this conversion is offered by several places (Pinnacle being one, IIRC) - and I think there mustn't be much of a problem - except for when someone tries to fire 38 or .357 in the rechambered cylinder. I'm guessing, per the specs, that there isn't enough metal in the chambers to have 9mm headspace on the chamber - so a person would probably have to use moon-clips.

Last but not least - I'm certain not an expert or well-informed on this and thus my post!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
9mm Cylinder Length

Just out of curiousity I wonder what the 9mm cylinder length is in case (unlikely) one ever ran across a cylinder?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just out of curiousity I wonder what the 9mm cylinder length is in case (unlikely) one ever ran across a cylinder?
I'll guess it's the 38 cylinder. Back in 1993 when the 9mm and 38 were available the 357 wasn't on the market. I waited 2 months for a 357 and my LGS told me choose a 38 or 9mm, the 357 ain't coming.

Is the 38 SP101 still sold?

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am surprised that the 38 version is still listed. I have never seen a 9mm cylinder for sale - and I wonder where the cylinder/crane combos on GB come from. I assume, just guessing, that the guy buys the parts from police departments which then destroy the frames. But, most of his cylinders and other parts are in like-new condition - and I wouldn't think confiscated firearms would tend to be in very good shape.

I wish Ruger had never offered the SP101 in 9mm - then I wouldn't have this itch to have one!!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have a 5737 SP101 in 38 Special and the cylinder length is 1.58", same as a 357 which is what I would expect in current production.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I am sort of tempted to go with P89DC on cylinder length of the 9mm but never know. Yes, the 9mm SP101 is tempting even though I have a .357. It told me it is lonely. Easy way would be to buy a .357 cylinder and fit to the gun and have converted to 9mm but for the cost would be half way to the cost of a 9mm SP101. Thinking about it.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wave - Thank-you for verifying – I am pretty sure I'm going to order the cylinder. I've got multiple SP-101's to attempt to get it to work in - including an older 2-in model that has night sites but it's kind of scratched up ... ;) JK

Rover - I looked on GB but 9mm SP's are as scarce as hen's teeth at a reasonable price. Not counting the cost of shipping or moon clips, it looks like I can get this cylinder for about $185. That is, $100 for the cylinder and $85 for Pinnacle to re-chamber and machine for moon clips.

I think Siri is drunk this morning so any mistakes above are her fault – not mine!! Trying to use voice to text on an iPad is getting trickier and trickier.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have a 5737 SP101 in 38 Special and the cylinder length is 1.58", same as a 357 which is what I would expect in current production.
I wonder when Ruger changed over? My 38 only SP101 has a serial number 571-81xxx which is late 1994 production the cylinder is ~1.52".

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Wave - Thank-you for verifying — I am pretty sure I'm going to order the cylinder. I've got multiple SP-101's to attempt to get it to work in - including an older 2-in mo

Rover - I looked on GB but 9mm SP's are as scarce as hen's teeth at a reasonable price. Not counting the cost of shipping or moon clips, it looks like I can get this cylinder for about $185. That is, $100 for the cylinder and $85 for Pinnacle to re-chamber and machine for moon clips.
They are scarce and usually the seller wants $800-900. If I recall correctly, though, one went for about $625 a while back. There seem to have been a number for sale last August. One was listed in decent shape for $550 but no takers. Guess if you snooze you lose.

In looking at the Pinnacle cost list it appears he gets $230 for rechambering and machining for the moon clips so with shipping and cost of the cylinder one would have about $345-350 in it. I think $85 is just for machining for the moonclip alone.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Rover - you just ruined my day and cancelled this project!! ... ;) I get a resounding DOH for failing to read the webpage correctly. I think I'll still get the cylinder and see which SP it fits. Then, hopefully next year I can scare up the $200+ ... And, you are hereby designated a real MEANIE!!

Even if the cylinder doesn't fit any of the SP's - I think it'll still be worth $85 so I'll be out $15 + shipping.

Kinda sorta related comment - never in my life did I imagine how broke I would be on social security. I shoulda kept working but it's too late now ... :(

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
"Rover - you just ruined my day and cancelled this project!! ... I get a resounding DOH for failing to read the webpage correctly. I think I'll still get the cylinder and see which SP it fits. Then, hopefully next year I can scare up the $200+ ... And, you are hereby designated a real MEANIE!!

Even if the cylinder doesn't fit any of the SP's - I think it'll still be worth $85 so I'll be out $15 + shipping.

Kinda sorta related comment - never in my life did I imagine how broke I would be on social security. I shoulda kept working but it's too late now ...

Sorry about that but better to know up front. That is why I was considering another SP. I know what you mean about Social Insecurity. So many guns and so little money. The spare parts idea is a good one. Many years ago after an experience having a Redhawk tuned by a noted gunsmith now out of business got it back with pushoff from the hammer. He got rid of the creep alright. There was a lot of custom work in the gun if it went back to Ruger would be lost. A hammer was no where to be found (early 1990's). Took a loss on that one. Now, I always like to acquire a few extra parts such as hammers, triggers, etc.

The one thing I also wonder about using another cylinder is if one will be lucky and it fits with minimal problems i.e. headspace, endshake and b/c gap come out ok. If one had to set the barrel back it could get expensive fitting it. One could wind up with $450 - 500 getting the new cylinder to work and then might not be able to readily go back to the .357 one if the barrel was set back easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts