Ruger Forum banner

CZ 457 At-One Varmint, Bergara BXR Carbon

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  GNAP 
#1 ·
The CNY Gun show this weekend was expensive, I got a new range bag, a CZ 457 At-One Varmint and Bergara BXR Carbon., to add to the collection. I have not shot either yet, my open/iron sights, for them, should be here by Thursday. Maybe one of these will replace my RPRF as my primary league rifle.

Textile Sleeve Wood Musical instrument Shotgun
Auto part Wood Vehicle Denim Motor vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm on the waiting list for a left handed B14r carbon steel barrel. The carbon fiber barrels are too light and unbalanced for NRL and PRS matches.
The 457 At One will keep up with a Bergara quite easily or better with the right ammo. Usually RWS Rifle Match and SK Rifl Match ammo so keep an eye out for them.

#6 ·
I shot the CZ it was both good and bad, very accurate, mechanically great, but,

I’m not thrilled with the stock, basically the CZ parts are excellent, the Boyd part is junk. The fit and finish is on the level of a 7th grade wood shop project, that got a C-.

my fault, I have a Savage Mk II Minimalist, with a Boyd’s laminated wood stock, that’s rougher than a cob, I should have known better. The adjustable cheek and butt plate need a pry bar to move, the adjustment button, barely move and I got slivers off the poorly finished stock.

I took the action out of the stock, and buffed the stock completely with a series of 3 different grades of scotch-brite pads, it’s now duller, but it won’t now extract blood out of me, when I handle it. I put the rifle back together, and shot it again.

the rifle is extremely heavy, the balance is terrible and the foregrip is way too fat. If shooting with a bipods or and bags, none of this would matter, but I bought it to shoot in a open/iron sight league, where the gun has to be hand held, it akin to shooting a 2x4 with a barrel attached.

it’s my fault, I own the Minimalist, I know the laminated Boyd’s stocks. It a Gun show purchase, I held it for about 2-3 minutes, Did I think it out clearly, NO!. Am I sorry I bought it, MAYBE, maybe it will grow on me, maybe a new stock or maybe a life of a safe queen. Basically a great CZ action, trapped in a crudely fabbed 2x4 stock.

#8 ·
A friend just left my house with his CZ/Boyd stock rifle, the difference is night and day, while heavy, his has smooth edges and an almost flawless finish, super smooth. He looked at mine, which I’d already buffed and he said it was terrible wood finishing.

#10 ·
Really hate to bust your chops but that particular CZ is a target/competition type tifle so you want it heavy. The AtOne stock is fantastic overall and is nothing wrong with it. If there is a issue with it then contact them to rectify your issues. Sounds like you should had gotten a American stocked rifle the way you wailed on it. Boyds makes great stocks but if you looking for a Varimint stock which will prolly what you wanted. I have one laying around to make you a good deal with or swap stock before you mutilate the AtOne.

#11 ·
no, mine was extremely poorly finished, my friend’s is head and tails above mine, I wanted an adjustable stock, but I should not have to pry the adjustable pieces to move, his move as intended. All rough surface and sharp edges, is poor workmanship, I called CZ, they said it’s a Boyd issue. I’ve already sanded it smooth, I am going to have the forward grip area trimmed down, for me it’s way too fat. I know exact what I bought, the CZ part is excellent, the Boyd part, at least on this one, the class of workmanship was extremely poor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.