Ruger Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have both firearms -- a couple of each actually. I believe that the CZ is a significantly better pistol than the Beretta. Firstly, you cannot change the front sight on the Beretta 92fs -- it is machined into the upper. Secondly, most of my shooting group (all of us, really) have found the CZ to be more accurate. In particular, the way the CZ uppers and lowers fit together gives the CZ a low bore axis that makes recoil very manageable, and greatly reduces muzzle flip. Both weapons are very reliable, however the CZ is simpler as regards disassembly (not that the Beretta is all that bad) and is a remarkably robust design. The CZ is all-steel, whereas the Beretta has an alloy lower.
Both pistols are excellent, but in my opinion the CZ 75B is the better choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Both are high quality, reliable firearms. Whatever you get will shoot fine, if 'reliability' is your main concern, either will get 'er done.

I have LARGE hands (all my gloves are marked "Large") and the Beretta is a handful for me. The grips are FAT. I can shoot it fine, but if your hands are medium or small in size, avoid the Beretta.

Feel. The CZ-75B feels perfect in my hands. Just right. They have ergonomics dialed in at CZ. Once you hold a CZ-75, you'll wonder why ALL handgun makers don't just copy that design. It's perfect.

Accuracy - my CZ-75 outshoots my Beretta 92 Centurion easily (average 1.75" groups for the CZ-75 vs. average of 3" groups for the Centurion 92 at 25 yards.) That's not even close. The way the slide is put on (in?) the CZ-75 just seems to lead to a more accurate gun. Some proof? Check out the Sig P210 Target model. It is supremely accurate and has the same slide design as the CZ-75. It just works.

I have both. I like both. I shoot both. But if I had to chose one over the other, I would take the CZ-75B and be perfectly happy. Great grip. Great accuracy. Very reliable.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I shot both at the range when searching for a full size 9mm. I shot the 92fs better, but found the ergonomics of the cz more comfortable. I did not like the trigger at all on the cz though. I would have picked the 92fs at the end of it all. Both are great pistols to shoot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Once you hold a CZ-75, you'll wonder why ALL handgun makers don't just copy that design. It's perfect.
I know...right?

Before I bought the CZ, I had a pellet pistol that had a very similar grip to the CZ. I decided that I wanted to buy a centerfire pistol with a grip like THAT, so I started shopping around and was shocked to find out that there weren't any...until I found the CZ.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,010 Posts
I think it's funny how many people go for how grips look versus how stable you can hold the gun. Marksmanship depends greatly on the shooter's ability to hold the gun steady when aiming and firing. With my own CZ-75B, I liked the feel of the pretty wood grips better than the factory rubber grips. I didn't buy them because they were pretty …. but I must admit it was pleasant eye candy too. No doubt, CZ's grip shape and angle has a great influence on the gun's accuracy. The only other gun I found with grips that fit well for just about anyone is a S&W Mod 41 22 LR target pistol.

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
I picked up my new CZ75B. It's the matte stainless version. Shoots fine. Appears to be minute of rock accurate. I haven't done any paper target shooting yet. I'll keep you posted.

For kicks I decided to do a little side by side physical comparison to my Beretta 9mm's. What I found was interesting. The CZ is 3.25 oz heavier than my M9A3 and 2.5 oz heavier than my 30 year old 92FS.

The overall length, width and height are practically identical between the CZ and my Beretta 92FS. The only difference is the portion of the Beretta barrel that extends beyond the slide. The CZ barrel also protrudes but not as much as the Beretta. The overall length difference is about 1/4". The threaded barrel on the M9A3 adds about another 1/4" beyond the FS.

The grips on the CZ and the 92FS are almost exactly the same width and depth. There's no more than +/- .025 in any direction between the two. However, the CZ grip and the 92FS grip are both noticeably wider and thicker than the Vertec grip on my M9A3. About 1/4" in both directions.

The angle between the frame and the slide is very similar on all three guns. The main difference between all of them are minor differences in grip contour. The contour at the butt of the CZ grip is less pronounced than on the FS and that, IMO, accounts for the perception that the CZ grip is smaller. The straight backstrap on the Vertec grip makes it overall smaller and more comfortable than either the CZ or the FS IMO.

Trigger pull. Double action goes to the M9A3. Not even close. It's lighter and smoother than both the CZ and the FS. The other two are tied IMO. The FS is smoother but longer than the CZ. The CZ is shorter but mushier than the FS. They both have about the same weight but that's purely subjective because I don't have a trigger pull gauge.

The SA trigger is much easier to rate. Again, the M9A3 is the clear winner. Light, crisp, no creep. Excellent for a production gun. The SA trigger on the 92FS is a touch heavier but still very crisp with just a hint of creep. The CZ SA trigger breaks with a lighter pull than the FS but there's a lot of creep/drag before it breaks. It's predictable but after you take up the slack you still have a lot of work to do to get a nice clean break. In fairness the CZ is brand new and I've only shot a handful of magazines through it. I presume the trigger on the CZ will clean up a bit with use.

Bottom line? I like all three of them and, so far, I have no regrets about my new CZ. Glad to finally have one in the safe and I don't see it going anywhere any time soon. IMO there's a distinct difference in shoot ability between the M9A3 and the other two. If had to pick between the FS and the CZ I'd probably go with the CZ but I'm splitting hairs. It might be just the new car smell or it might be the fact it's all stainless. Either way I'm the proud owner of both of them. The M9A3 is clearly a better pistol than the other two IMO. Clearly better but not drastically better. Like I said, I like all three of them a lot.YMMV.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts