Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,626 Posts
I hate to say it, but Colt has done a lot of damage to itself over the years. It is a company with a great history, but has made some very questionable business decisions over the last 20 years or so. Also, it seems their product line has struggled and sold more on the name than on what they offered compared to competitors at the same price point.

So, while I understand your point, would you rather see Colt go away or see them continue to exist as Dan Wesson exists, as a brand still semi-independent and still making product here in the US, even if that parent company is overseas? I guess it would be comparable to Chrysler brands. One might not be happy with the way it happened, but the Chrysler brand group is still here and is able to continue to make vehicles through ownership by a foreign company. It’s just a parallel in the business world on how struggling companies find ways, sometimes creative and with help, to survive.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I want to see another production of the 1903 other than that Colt can pack sand.

I've said my piece/peace....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My question is what impact it might have on Colt's military contracts. On the civilian side I've never owned a Colt firearm.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Considering how many times Colt has turned their back on the civilian market then go bankrupt when a government contract ends on the tax payer dole they can go away as far as I'm concerned. Being a CZ design fan I hope they don't drag CZ down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Colt needs a realignment - CZ isn't going to allow Colt's history of poor management to continue. I just can't picture a Colt product with typical CZ quality !!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Colt and CZ danced before in the late 90's.

So who does that leave as large US gun companies? Ruger and Mossberg

·
Registered
169 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Is Smith and Wesson not USA owned anymore?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Back in the day Colt was a public company. The primary stockholders (magt team) placed the company so far into debt, moved it private, and forced bondholders to either take shares of stock, nearly worthless or lose their bonds. They are so hoplessly in debt that a sale is the only option for long term survival. Sort of like Winchester, Remington, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, US steel, and I am sure, many others, poor management will get you every time. Colt lost their major military contracts years and years ago. So, if they keep making guns in Hartford and other USA locations, I guess we can continue to call them genuine colts. I dunno. Winchester is only a name, mostly made by Miroku in Japan. Browning is mainly a marketing company........what do you think? Will they still be COLTs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Colt and CZ danced before in the late 90's.

There's still several US manufacturers of firearms. Here's a few that to my knowledge are still US based.

Ruger, Mossberg, Smith and Wesson (American outdoor brands), Springfield, Savage, Remington (Roundhill Group LLC), Kimber, Henry, Freedom Arms, North American Arms, Cooper, Weatherby, Barrett, many AR brands and other small manufacturers.

Companies like Ithaca, H&R still exist....H&R recently possibly resurrected from the Remington sell off.

Thompson Center is owned by Smith and Wesson

Browning is owned by FN Herstal a Belgium Company.

Stoeger is owned by Benelli an Italian Company

Winchester is owned by Olin an American Company but the name is used under licensing by Browning and FN.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Springfield is a US company but a chunk of their firearms are not made here.

Sig is perceived as and is technically still a German company but only makes guns in the US now as they shut down their German factory last year.

We don't talk about them, but we probably need to realize that Palmetto State Armory ships millions of their guns and uppers every year. Their parent company is who purchased H&R, DPMS, and Stormlake (and some others) out of the Remington bankruptcy. They previously announced they were going to roll out a line of inexpensive pistols in 2020 but I've heard nothing on that since.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
I like CZ firearms (including Dan Wesson) a lot. I suspect they'll turn that train wreck called Colt into a viable company that produces excellent firearms with excellent customer service. I welcome it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
@dlbind ......notice I said LARGE.

I did miss Savage and Henry though. I thought S&W was owned by a foreign group, has that changed? Remington is bankrupt

·
Registered
165 Posts
@dlbind ......notice I said LARGE.

I did miss Savage and Henry though. I thought S&W was owned by a foreign group, has that changed? Remington is bankrupt
I did overlook the large part. I included ones I know a little about.

It's unfortunate that an Icon like Colt needs help but there are still several U.S based companies.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts