Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have decided to live in the Alaskan wilderness, and you need to chose a revolver as a backup handgun for bears.

Do you select a SA or a DA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is this a hypothetical? The answer is more often than not a double action. Some may say single action but I'm not convinced under stress they will cock the hammer and regardless of what they say I know the cocking action before pulling the trigger wont be as fast or easy as just pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A "Backup" handgun you ask. First question where's the primary bear gun? Obviously an outside scenario so I'm assuming your taking a dump and your 45/70 is leaning on the tree behind you with the toilet paper on the barrel. Good news though your trousers are already dropped so they won't get soiled, double action of atleast 44 magnum

·
Super Moderator
3,370 Posts
Sorry SA fans, I am one of you, but the answer is DA. Even if you have time for that all important first shot, there is no guarantee that the first shot will stop the attack. So now you are fighting with an arm in the bears mouth or with a bear on top of you, etc. DA it is. Cock the gun if you got time, otherwise just keep pulling the trigger as long as you are able.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have more confidence in, and time behind a single action. I get more cartridges onboard with a Glock 10mm. I would choose either over a double action revolver at this time.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I live in Alaska, people use whatever they are most comfortable with whether SA ,DA, Semi-auto or long gun

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I live in Alaska, people use whatever they are most comfortable with whether SA ,DA, Semi-auto or long gun
I prefer a SA/DA revolver when hiking...SA for those longer distance shots when time allows...DA for those up-close-n-personal moments of extreme desperation!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
As long as it's chambered in 12 gauge either a SA/DA will do nicely !
Advice from my Dad ..." Make the first shot count , chances are you aren't getting another ."

Gary

·
Super Moderator
3,370 Posts
As long as it's chambered in 12 gauge either a SA/DA will do nicely !
Advice from my Dad ..." Make the first shot count , chances are you aren't getting another ."

Gary
Who makes a DA 12ga? I thought they all were single action?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Who makes a DA 12ga? I thought they all were single action?

S&W Governor on steroids , 5 shot 12 gauge... DA ... might be a market out there !
Think about the speedloaders for that bad boy !!!! :)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
You have decided to live in the Alaskan wilderness, and you need to chose a revolver as a backup handgun for bears.

Do you select a SA or a DA?

Here's some good advice: Wear bright-colored clothing with bells attached to warn bears you are coming and always carry bear spray. It is also a good idea to be able to identify bear droppings.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings contain pieces of bright-colored clothing with bells attached and have the smell of bear spray.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm a single action Ruger fan. I've used my .44 Mag (see picture to the left) to hunt deer, and bagged deer. I've hunted squirrel, rabbit and grouse with my Ruger Single Six .22. But when it comes to grizzlies, I want to be able to pull the trigger and not be messing around with the hammer. DA only for me! And big bore! That's my 2¢.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts