Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Dad's modest collection of firearms included a 5.5" barreled heavy frame Vaquero in 45 Colt with a high gloss finish and simulated ivory grip panels. The Model is 0573 and the Catalog number is KBNV-455-I and it shipped in 1999. Dad told me the story that he and my Mom were in an area pawn shop looking at used guns and this was in the case along with a gun belt rig. It turned out the belt happened to fit my Dad's waist and at my Mom's urging they bought it as an anniversary gift for my Dad from my Mom. This was typical of my Dad - he was rarely impulsive about buying anything and if my Mom hadn't urged him he would have likely said "I'll think about it" and left it there for someone else to buy. The gun belt is a functional rig made by Triple K and my Dad kept these nickel plated Starline brass reloads in the belt.

The grips in the picture are not the factory faux ivory panels but are a set that a forum member here graciously gave to me. The birdseye maple looks great with the high gloss stainless and I think my Dad would approve.

This was one of my Dad's favorite revolvers and he loaded up a lot of different ammo for it. Before he passed he was getting into powder coating his cast bullets and trying some different loads. This was the only revolver he owned in 45 Colt but he had a lot of different ammo loaded up for it and it was definitely one of his go-to guns for fun on their range. I'm glad I have it now as a family heirloom.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

View attachment 144064
1591285643199.png

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Great memory and great pistol...........Thanks for pics!

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,574 Posts
That is an awesome rig! Those grips are fabulous. What a treasure to have where you can remember your dad every time you shoot it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry for your loss. But happy to hear that you have fond memories and your dad's favorite sidearm.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,567 Posts
The stories these revolvers could tell. You know a good part of this one and it stays in the family to accumulate more. It is a beautiful Ruger and the rig is awesome. Nice photos.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up - Dad liked the free spin pawl modification he learned about here from Iowegan and performed it on a few of his single action revolvers. I've done the mod myself but have settled on keeping the factory pawl as it is so I swapped out the modified pawl in this Vaquero for a factory one and while I was at it swapped the high spur Vaquero hammer for a low spur Super Blackhawk hammer. So now I've changed the pawl, the hammer and the grips - I guess I can't keep from tinkering on things....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like those grips found a perfect home on a good revolver. I like the hammer look, was that just a simple swap or did it require some fitting.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was a simple swap but I haven’t fired it yet to see if I need to adjust the step in the hammer face for proper ignition. Dry fire function seems fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts