Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Ruger mini 14 and while learning to use it, I noticed when loading and unloading my 30 round Promag magazine, it would damage the top cartridge. It will slightly dent in and scratch the cartridge. Am I loading wrong?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome brianhendrix. I have had similar problem with non-Ruger magazines. I think the shells sometimes sit too high in the mag and get dented by the slide. Is your Promag steel or polymer? I was able to fix my problem on steel mags by slightly bending the feed lips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome brianhendrix. I have had similar problem with non-Ruger magazines. I think the shells sometimes sit too high in the mag and get dented by the slide. Is your Promag steel or polymer? I was able to fix my problem on steel mags by slightly bending the feed lips.
It's a 30 round curved STEEL Promag.

·
Banned
402 Posts
When you say the top case do you mean the first one to load from the mag ?
Does it get dented when it loads from the mag ? or when it gets extracted and ejected.
Are you trying to load from a closed bolt or an open bolt. If not mistaken I think the mini loads from an open bolt, ( operating rod back and locked ) insert mag, release bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.