Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got up this morning and had every intention of taking the Savage 64 I bought last fall back to the dealer and have him send it back to savage. Gun just would not feed from a full magazine. Tried all the suggestions on line like debure the mag. polish the feed ramp. Arrived at his door about 30 minutes after he opened. He must have already finished his morning coffee as he was in a great mood for a Monday morning. Asked what he could help me with, and I explained the problems I have been having. He agreed to send it in for warranty repairs and started filling out some paper work. That is when I heard that stainless 10/22 on the rack start whispering to me. So ask, can I see that 10/22 while you finish those papers?
40 minutes later he owns a Savage 64 with feed problems and I have a nice new stainless 10/22. Now to get it in the door at home without getting caught.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a point of interest. The 10/22 now is equipped with molded in studs for a sling

·
Registered
293 Posts
no problems, you walked out with a rifle, you came back in with a rifle. it's all good.
Bingo. Mrs. Wheeler wouldn't notice the difference until she saw the checkbook. :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle! Yea those 10/22 are bad at calling your name!:rolleyes: I had that happen a couple weeks ago myself , went to buy 2 mags for my 9E and cam home with 2 mags and a Black 10/22 as well :eek:
FYI BECAREFULL it will tell you to buy a lot of extras for it as well.like 25 round mags,Bipods etc:eek:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bingo. Mrs. Wheeler wouldn't notice the difference until she saw the checkbook. :p
I learned a long time ago the wives of shooters aren't stupid. you made me remember back when I worked in my buddies gun shop, at Christmas, customers wives would come buying them gift certificates, etc. and as we talked while I wrote out the purchase, almost all of them mentioned their fool husbands actually thought their wives believed them when they came home with a new gun and told them it was under a 100 bucks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That 10/22 is going to cost you a lot more by the time you finish "personalizing" it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So that Damn Stainless was wispering to me all morning,"lets go to the range". So too shut it up, I put in a case, loaded the range bag with an assortment of ammo, and headed out to the DNR range. Pretty empty when I arrived as it was overcast and a slight mist in the air. Range Master took my fee and said go down to lane 4. Didn't have to wait to set some targets as they were in a cease fire. Had installed a scope I had just gotten zeroed in on the Savage I traded off, so thought it should be close on the 10/22. WRONG. first mag, first round a feed issue. same with round 2. Dropped the mag and started over. from that point on she fired flawlessly. first 10 down range didn't hit paper at 50 yds. Second Mag and suddenly the lower left corner of the target came loose. I had shot the corner away. Started cranking in adjustments, bringing it up and right, took about 10 Mags to zero it, and each group got tighter and tighter. And I know it wasn't me getting better, it was getting broken in. did not find any ammo it was fussy about. Took Remington Golden, Federal Champion, Federal AM22, CCI stnd and mini mags.

Its a keeper

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sounds good. I have not found any standard or high velocity ammo that my 10/22s will not feed well with.

I did add VQ firing pins and extractors to most of my 10/22s ... just because.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
If you ever worry about getting a new gun in the house just put a lamp shade on it and tell your bride you bought her a new lamp. I willing to bet she will say " put that trash in the basement". There you go new gun in the house.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I learned a long time ago the wives of shooters aren't stupid. you made me remember back when I worked in my buddies gun shop, at Christmas, customers wives would come buying them gift certificates, etc. and as we talked while I wrote out the purchase, almost all of them mentioned their fool husbands actually thought their wives believed them when they came home with a new gun and told them it was under a 100 bucks.
They say a man who thinks he's smarter than his wife..............has a very smart wife. :D

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Out of all of the .22 rimfire semi-auto rifles ever made, the 10/22 is at the top of the pack.
I think you did just fine.

I've played with a lot of .22 rifles over the years and the design of the 10/22 is hard to beat. There are a few that come close in term of reliability like the Marlin model 60 or the Remington Nylon 66, but none that surpass the Ruger in shear reliability and simplicity. I've seen a few people turn the Ruger into bad rifles but I've never seen a bad factory 10/22.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used to think I got away with sneaking an occasional new weapon into the crowded gun case until I bought the first stainless one. That was not a clever move on my part; it was not well camouflaged among all the blue steel and wood group and led to a discussion about how the residents of the case seemed to have multiplied over the past couple of years. Now, having been a bachelor for the past 20 years I'll admit there have been a few occasions when there should have been a woman in the house to say, "Don't you dare buy another gun."

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the damn stainless has seduced another one. Took the 10 year old grandson out to the DNR range Sunday. He has received basic firearm training with the infamous daisy red rider. Since he has NOT shot his eye out both My daughter and son in law agreed he was ready. It did take a little while for him to get all the mechanics of it down, but by the end of the day had gone thru about 200 rounds. And most found the paper on the other end of the range. his only question on the way home was when can we go again.

As a treat, dad let him fire a single round thru the SR22.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Nice!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts