Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

the things are taking over down here. Been an increase in some vehicle accidents. A buddy's daughter took this one with a 22-250.
They been tearing up everything--fence lines, hay bales, etc.

another bud took this one with a 30-30. Just the right eatin' size.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
They were tearing up my Ranch a couple of years ago, and a cousin, that is a trapper caught 36 and sold them to be turned loose in Arkansas to be hunted. Ranchers and Farmers hate them. I tried eating them and don't like the meat.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is working on a home done euro mount for the head. He is very proud of her and told me she took it with a head shot at around 70 yds. The rest of that rank boar was coyote bait.
We are eating on the smaller one. Everything from ham steaks to chops have been very good. It was a small gilt under 100 lbs.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Deputy125- your signature quote is one of my favorites-and fits too many today...that young lady won't just stand there when it hits the fan-her Daddy's taught her well!! Not many hogs around here (except at city hall) but heard they're a bit hard to stop...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
deputy125 - maybe we could get together a little RugerForum field trip to help y'all out with those feral hogs. If we had a good host there in TX it could be a fun and entertaining trip!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

deputy125 - maybe we could get together a little RugerForum field trip to help y'all out with those feral hogs. If we had a good host there in TX it could be a fun and entertaining trip!
Great idea Jimbo! We don't have those things in Kansas yet.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quote:Originally posted by rman

quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

Great idea Jimbo! We don't have those things in Kansas yet.
Wish I could, I depend on the good ole boy system for hunting. The leases have just got plain too high to buy into!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
quote:Wish I could, I depend on the good ole boy system for hunting. The leases have just got plain too high to buy into!
Same here. Everything is leased or owned. If you don't have deep pockets or a friend with property, you are out of luck. There are a few wildlife management areas the public can hunt but I don't trust the other unknown hunters to go in there.
Too many accidentials to want to put my life on the line. Haven't been deer hunting in 12 years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not bragging, as wild hogs are nothing to brag about, but here in central California we've got more hogs than you can possibly shoot, drag and skin. They run in packs as large as 40 or more in lots of places. Lots of 'em on public land, but most are on private ranches and farms. I'm fortunate enough to have hunting rights on two ranches, and we make a day out of calling 'yotes, hunting hogs, and fly fishing for blue gills in the retention ponds.

As for how them hogs taste, well, whatever they've been eating in the last week or so is what they taste like. I killed a monster boar of just over 300 lbs. eating on a dead horse. He smelled worse than the carcass of the horse when we gutted and skinned him. Had to throw him away Buried him, actually. Can't leave him for the coyotes, as that's considered game abandonment in Cali.

This year the price of a pig tag went up to almost $18. Three years ago you could buy a 5 tag book for less than $10, now F & G has realized what a cottage industry pig hunting has become, and are cashing in on it's popularity. No in-possession limit and no limit on how many you can take in a day. We usually pass on any pig larger than 100lbs. but we'll definitely knock down a monster if we happen across one. BTW, we've been surprised to have 'em come in to our predator calls when calling 'yotes. And just for general information, don't pack a .40 caliber sidearm as back-up when pig hunting. I did that once by mistake, and my buddies are still laughing about that one. That story comes up every year at deer camp. Maybe one day I'll share it with ya. I'll have to change the name to protect the ignorant (me).

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know what you mean about rank. i've seen buzzards pass on some of them before and it seems to take forever for one hog to rot away.
Last pack i tied into was 16 head. Good thing they have such poor sight as we got close. Been shot at before though and at the 1st shot they put it in road gear and were gone.
Would like to here your story about the 40 cal sometime. I pack a 45 vaquero as my uh-oh gun while huntin. Been wanting to get a gp to replace it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have to buy tags for feral hog hunting?

·
Registered
589 Posts
In Alabama feral hogs are considered property of the land owner. There are a few restrictions on how you hunt them during other game seasons but thats about it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
How about a Barbecue? I can smell the bacon. Chops? Sausage?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts