Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi blade,
Yep interesting stuff out there.
That's even cheaper than some plans are being sold for.
Sorta wonder how many kids will get too happy and literally blind another.Many don't have any common sense.
A few years ago,I was trying to talk a production manager into buying a laser cutter.Didn't buy it.
Know what ? This might come in handy for cutting materials.
Have a dead CD/DVD burner somewhere.
With the microwave,it is a tube design.And uses some rather high voltage.Up around 1KV or more.Don't remember what voltage range is.
A typical CRT will generate in the 18 to 18.5KV range.My oscilloscopes do that,no problem.Worked on TV's for over 18 years.
There are microwave safety diodes that are used in the oven.
These diodes don't emit anything.I've replaced them.But are pretty pricey to buy them.
Yes, there are microwave diodes.HAMs have used these for many years in communications.
Nothing is "fool proof".And a fool will prove it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right - nothing is "fool proof". Definitely alot of house chemicals and electric appliance parts are not safe in wrong hands. I'm just thinking how long it's gonna take in GB to prohibit such things as well as everything they've already banned. Hope, we’re not going to follow their path.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wonder how it would work with a series of 4 trolling motor batteries hooked up? Bet my annoying neighbor cats would tread carefully around my yard. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bet they'll learn to tap dance pronto !:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Bud,
The diode(s) are in the burner.There's a carriage that is moved on rails.This is where the diode is at.
OH,if you like magnets,take a screwdriver, and where the center of the CD/DVD is,that screwdriver will get stuck to the magnet.The top should cam down to the hole in the CD/DVD disk.
Some of these can hold many times their weight.Good for retreving small parts.
And what I've seen,it doesn't require any additional boards to work.
A current reducing resistor should be included.With 3 volts, should be in the 5 ohm range.It would have to be in the 1/8th watt.Really tiny.
With the straight arrangement,that diode may not have a long life.
I saved the webpage.
Just means, you need a working burner.Even a cheapie CD burner should work.
But what the body didn't say, was the heat from the soldering gun/iron
at the soldering point junction.Too much heat, and yes the diode can be destroyed.Forcepts are used in soldering.Easier on the fingers.
The 3rd leg isn't used. But, he also didn't say about the pictorial diagram;is the pictorial at the base/lead view,or above it ?
But, if you do try it, be warned.Do NOT look at the beam head on.Watch for reflections as well.The power does not diminish over most distances.
And, if hooked up wrong,will not destroy the diode.Reverse the connections.
Be very careful of these !!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh, it's gonna eat batteries as a hungry mob (e.g. 50 times faster than any 5mW cheapie laser). :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
quote:Originally posted by blade

Huh, it's gonna eat batteries as a hungry mob (e.g. 50 times faster than any 5mW cheapie laser). :)
Not really.
When compared to a filament lamp,that filament will use far more current than any LED,laser or other solid state component.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
45 Colt, P=U*I; If U is constant (the same batteries used), and P is fifty times greater in one of the cases, than will dI/dt differential give you an idea? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts